1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Summer question

1. Apr 6, 2008 #1
    hello, just a small question on taking phy II over the summer.

my schools gone through a great deal of budget cuts and we're not left with alot of options with regards to classes here.

physics II is offered once in the first 6 week semester, may to june.

once in the 2nd 6 week semester, june to august.

once in the 12 week semester, may to august.

I know it would probably be advisable to take the 12 week semester, but it's a difficult time for me to make.

I was really wanting to do physics II in the summer so I could do modern physics in the fall.

it's probably not the best of ideas to try it in the first 6 week semester, but the time there is so much better, and if that were the only class I'd be taking (i'd also be working but I don't think it'd be too much that it would get in the way), would it be alright?

if I had to I could make the 12 week semester work, just looking for ideas on the situation.
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 7, 2008 #2

Staff: Mentor

Most people consider the second semester of intro physics to be harder than the firsrt semester, because it deals mainly with electricity and magnetism, and is more abstract than the mechanics which makes up most of the first semester. This is especially true if you're doing a calculus-based course, because you'll have to deal with Gauss's Law, Ampere's Law, etc.

If you just need to get through the course for some other major, then you can grit your teeth and survive a six-week term. But if you're planning to major in physics, I strongly recommend doing it in the 12-week term, so as to give yourself more time to let the ideas soak in. It will help you in future courses.
  4. Apr 7, 2008 #3
    Agreed. E&M was the hardest quarter for me in Freshman physics. Like jtbell said, you couldn't visualize stuff as easily any longer, and had to rely on the math.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?