1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Summer reading list

1. May 9, 2012 #1
    Hello. I've just gotten through my first year of undergraduate physics (not much physics really) and won't have the time to take any courses over the summer. I think it'd be in my best interest to keep my mind on my studies so I figure I will pick up a few books to go through over the summer. I'm wondering whether any of you can reccommend others to me. I will be taking mathematical physics and modern physics next semester.

Books so far:
    How to think like a Mathematician by Houston
    Warped Passages: Unraveling the Mysteries of the Universe's Hidden Dimensions by Lisa Randall

Other than theses, I'll be browsing through the textbooks for next semester and reading some discworld.

2. jcsd
  3. May 10, 2012 #2
    I always recommend "The Black Hole War" by Leonard Susskind. Its not a technical book, but a very great read.

4. May 10, 2012 #3
    I got a few from this thread : https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=603598

Others I'd suggest:
    Cosmos - Carl Sagan
    Men of Mathematics - E.T Bell
    6 easy pieces - Feynman
    6 not so easy pieces - Feynman
    One, two, three.....infinity - George Gamow. (I really liked this one)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook