Help Needed: What to Read for Graduate Math?

• Thread starter sabbthdaylake
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Graduate
In summary, the speaker is a first-year graduate student in math looking for recommendations on what to read over the summer. They are most interested in analysis and applied analysis, with a secondary interest in geometry. They are looking for a book with good problems in those areas, but are unsure if they should choose a book on linear ODEs or go back to an undergrad analysis book. They also mention considering a book on functional analysis, but have heard mixed reviews. The advice given is to choose one book and work through it thoroughly instead of trying multiple books.
sabbthdaylake
hi all,

i'm hoping that some of you might be able to help. I'm currently in a state of perplexity and doubt.

i'm finishing up my first year at graduate school, in math. the problem is what to read over the summer. by now i have discovered that I'm most interested in analysis and applied analysis. (my second interest would probably be geometry.) differential equations and dynamical systems interest me.

i would like to learn basic techniques that are used by practicing analysts and applied mathematicians. i once read a book on smooth euclidean manifolds (munkres'), and i have never ever used the material on manifold integration and differential forms that i thoroughly studied. i don't like this.

as far as my background, i read and solved most of the problems in munkres' texts in topology and analysis on manifolds, and I've been able to read most of the first half of rudin without skipping a beat, likewise with dudley's real analysis and probability. i would like a book with good problems, but appropriate, like those in munkres' books.

so far I'm looking at coddington and levinson's book on linear ODE's but I'm worried that since linear DE theory is already completely understood (i don't remember where i read this), i'll end up never using what i learn here. can anyone comment on this?

also, I'm looking at rosenlicht's undergrad analysis book. i know I'm "beyond" it, but the material is so well-presented and the exercises are very good (i've heard some are very difficult), that i want to go back and re-read it and solve most of the problems. should i not bother, since I'm already about to go into my second year of graduate school?

can anyone here recommend any good books in analysis, applied analysis, and dynamical systems (introduction)? (i decided i won't read rudin nor dudley's book anymore, because there is too much conflict with my personal taste.)

i'm also looking at kreyszig's functional analysis book; it seems interesting but many people seem to think it's not at all challenging.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You ran through a couple of standards and described that and sometimes why you don't like them. Instead you should concentrate on what you do like. It is very hard to follow your reasoning, esp. if you are not a lector for Springer and / or know all the books you mentioned. This way you will be dissatisfied with any recommendation that you might receive.

My advice is to chose one of the books you mentioned and work through it, whether you like it or not. This is more valuable than testing half the library.

1. What are some recommended books for graduate level math?

Some commonly recommended books for graduate math include "Principles of Mathematical Analysis" by Walter Rudin, "Linear Algebra Done Right" by Sheldon Axler, and "Topology" by James Munkres.

2. Are there any online resources for graduate level math?

Yes, there are many online resources available for graduate math such as lecture notes, practice problems, and video lectures on websites like Khan Academy, MIT OpenCourseWare, and Coursera.

3. How can I improve my understanding of graduate level math?

One way to improve understanding is to actively engage with the material by doing practice problems, discussing concepts with classmates, and seeking help from professors or tutors when needed.

4. Are there any specific topics that I should focus on for graduate math?

The specific topics to focus on may vary depending on your field of study, but some important topics for graduate math include analysis, algebra, topology, and differential equations.

5. What are some strategies for reading dense math textbooks?

Some strategies for reading dense math textbooks include breaking down the material into smaller chunks, taking notes and summarizing key concepts, and seeking clarification from professors or classmates on difficult topics.