1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Summer Research

1. Feb 21, 2010 #1
    Hello everyone,

I'm a 3rd year student at Moscow Institute of Physics and Technology.
    What's the benefits of summer programs like SURF in comparison with "visiting scholar" program, when I'll looking for research and contacting professors by myself?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 21, 2010 #2
    To take part in an NIST SURF or NSF REU program, you must be a United States citizen. I'm not really familiar with any programs in the U.S. that are specific to foreign students besides study abroad programs.

4. Feb 22, 2010 #3
    As for SURF, some of research are available for international students.

5. Feb 22, 2010 #4
    My mistake. Then I would try to get into a SURF program. These programs are well structured and well thought out, so they will be more beneficial than an informal type of visiting scholar program. They usually have a set of topics or a specific topic that you will pursue throughout the summer. These programs have to reapply for funding each year, so they are usually high quality.

6. Feb 22, 2010 #5

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Are you sure? Read part of the requirement:

http://www.surf.nist.gov/pdf/fedreg2010.pdf [Broken]

There are other summer research programs where international students might qualify, but even then, these are open to international students who are already matriculating at US educational institutions. There are very few (if any, and I haven't see one) programs initiated by US agencies and govt. institutions that are open to international students from outside the US.

Zz.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  7. Feb 22, 2010 #6
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook