1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Summer REU or Free Study Abroad?

1. Feb 22, 2012 #1
    I am faced with a dilemma. I was accepted into a physics REU in a top 20 school to study something I'm really interested in. I also received a competitive scholarship to study Russian in Russia for 10 weeks this summer... all expenses paid. I have to choose.

I'm a junior and this will be the last summer I'm eligible for REU's. I want to go to a good graduate school (top 20, at least), and have been doing research for a professor for the last 3 semesters. My GPA is above a 3.98. I also had a physical oceanography REU last summer.

I'm really torn between the REU and Russia. Would graduate schools frown upon a "wasted" summer in Russia? Would it help me get in? Do I have enough pluses on my application so that Russia or an REU won't matter? I'm also looking for some general opinions from physicists who have studied abroad and whether they thought it was worth it. Opinions??? Help???

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted