1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Summer REU Programs

1. Mar 1, 2005 #1
    I have been trying to apply to summer REU (research experience for undergraduates) programs, in particular in material science and nanoscience. Last year I didn't get into any of the four I applied to. This year I applied to another six, and so far I have received one denial. I'm beginning to worry if there's something that is preventing me from being accepted into one of these REUs. I have a relatively high GPA (3.8 in math and 3.8 in physics). However, I do not have any experience with lab work. I believe my admission essays for the programs were great. I had my professors from my Physics and math classes write letters of recommendation for me. But I just don't understand why other people would get in and I don't.

Does anyone have any tips that you can share about applying to these REUs? Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 1, 2005 #2

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

In my opinion, you should apply to MUCH MORE than merely six programs.

There must be dozens of REU programs involving material science.
    http://www.nsf.gov/crssprgm/reu/list_result.cfm?unitid=5052

Here's a group of REUs for nanoscience
    http://www.cnf.cornell.edu/cnf5_reuprogram.html
    (although the deadline just passed).
    [There is an interesting italicized section that says
    "(Applicants can indicate a preference for a particular NNIN site; however, internships will be awarded according to faculty choice and project compatibility. Last year, 561 students applied, and 63 of the 72 interns were accepted at their first-choice site. Of those who accepted an internship, 55 colleges were represented along with 18 majors ranging from Biology to Physics. The average GPA was 3.5. We hired 3 frosh, 22 sophomores, 34 juniors and 13 first year seniors.)"]

Some advice for next year: Try to get your application in early...

However, look through
    http://www.nsf.gov/crssprgm/reu/reu_search.cfm
    There still may be programs whose deadline has not arrived yet!

4. Mar 1, 2005 #3
    Thanks for the advice. I actually did apply to the one at Cornell that you mentioned. But as you can see the chance of getting into that one is only about 13% (72/561). I will look through the NSF list and see if there are more places that I can apply to.

5. Mar 1, 2005 #4
    i have applied to six, all for physics, and i am yet to hear back from a single one.

which school responded, may i ask?

6. Mar 1, 2005 #5
    Northwestern responded. The others I applied to said they are going to respond at the end of this month or beginning of April.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?