Summer REUs for internationals?

• Thread starter Major Mei
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Summer
In summary, the conversation revolves around the difficulty of finding a research program during the summer for international students. The person is asking for recommendations and shares their background information, including their interest in robotics and strong academic performance. However, it is mentioned that there are limited opportunities for international students and most deadlines have passed. The suggestion is made to check with local universities for available research programs.
Major Mei
Hey guys,

I know it is hard to find one at this time but still want to give it a try...

So, and recommendations?

Open to international students, and are currently OK to apply(deadline: after today)

Thank you for you time and help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Around 70 of you reviewed this but no one replied...
Is that so hard to get one during this summer at this point?
I am a freshman(I know that makes this even harder) and I really want to see how things work in this area.

Background info:
Robotics honors, academic honors and work experience as a robotics tutor in high school
GPA: Currently around 3.8, hopefully I am able to get a 4.0
got As in physics and astronomy
(if someone who would like to help me I will provide further info via email)

I am able to work 23 hours per day, actually I study hard during night time and try to deal with electrodynamics and modern phys in advance. Learning calc myself.
Any chances? Just set academic requirements for me and I will try to achieve. I have time to go through materials in higher-levels so that I can help as much as possible in the lab or research program.

Thank you for your help! If you want to check some further info do not hesitate to contact me:
majormei1008@gmail.com

Major Mei said:
Hey guys,

I know it is hard to find one at this time but still want to give it a try...

So, and recommendations?

Open to international students, and are currently OK to apply(deadline: after today)

Thank you for you time and help!

I am an international student myself...

First there are very few REU programs that accept international students (due to the NSF policy),second there are even fewer that give some free housing to international students, and finally there are very very few which actually would pay international students (SMALL is one of them that i know of).

So at this time, you are not in a good position at all...but you should not give up, try to browse the webpages of all REU programs, and you might stumble upon one that accepts int. students and whose deadline hasn't passed yet.

Good luck!

I think it's best to check your local university to see if there is anything available. I got a friend, an international student, who will be working on research with a locally funded research program in physics this summer.

To be honest, almost every deadline for REUs has passed by this point. You'll have to carefully look at every site to see if there are any that are still open and give funding to internationals. You'll have better luck next year if you look in advance.

1. What are Summer REUs for internationals?

Summer Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REUs) are programs that provide students with the opportunity to participate in hands-on research projects at universities and research institutions. These programs are typically funded by the National Science Foundation (NSF) and are open to both US citizens and international students.

2. Who is eligible for Summer REUs for internationals?

International students who are currently enrolled in an undergraduate program and have a strong interest in pursuing a career in science, technology, engineering, or mathematics (STEM) are eligible to apply for Summer REUs. Some programs may have additional eligibility requirements, so it is important to check the specific program's website for more information.

3. How do I apply for Summer REUs for internationals?

The application process for Summer REUs varies depending on the program, but it typically involves submitting an online application, a personal statement, letters of recommendation, and official transcripts. It is important to carefully review the application requirements and deadlines for each program you are interested in applying to.

4. Are international students paid for participating in Summer REUs?

Yes, most Summer REUs provide a stipend to cover living expenses during the program. The amount of the stipend may vary depending on the program and location, but it is typically enough to cover housing, food, and other necessary expenses. Some programs may also provide travel expenses for international students.

5. What can I expect from participating in a Summer REU as an international student?

Participating in a Summer REU can provide international students with valuable research experience, exposure to cutting-edge research, and the opportunity to network with other students and professionals in their field. It can also enhance their skills and make them more competitive for graduate school or future career opportunities.