Summer Solstice: Parties and Celebrations from 8:07PM Till Late!

• Thread starter 0TheSwerve0
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Summer
In summary, there was a conversation about the summer solstice and the justification for waking up late. The APOD today featured a photo of sunrise at Stonehenge, which still lines up after all these years. However, due to Earth's precession, the sun no longer rises in an astronomically significant way. There was also mention of a summer solstice celebration at Bendigo Michels.
0TheSwerve0
I think having sunlight until 8:07PM justifies my waking up at 12:30pm:tongue: :cool: Any summer solstice celebrations going on?

I found this for Utah and England (at Stonehenge)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
berkeman said:
The APOD today was a cool shot of sunrise at Stonehenge. Yep, still lined up after all these years!

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap060621.html
Typical male - fails to read the caption. "Due to the precession of the Earth's orbital axis over the millennia, the Sun no longer rises over Stonehenge in an astronomically significant way, although the photographer was able to find a good spot where the rising Sun appeared over one of Stonehenge's massive standing stones.

I am SOOO disappointed in you! :wink:

Oopsies. Yeah, sometimes I just look at the pretty pictures...:rolleyes:

I was going to mention that someone needs to move that rock to the right a bit.

We are going to celebrate the willow up at bendigo michels by the watering pool.

1. What is the summer solstice?

The summer solstice is the longest day of the year, occurring when the Earth's axis is most tilted towards the sun. This usually falls on June 21st in the Northern Hemisphere and December 21st in the Southern Hemisphere.

2. Why do people celebrate the summer solstice?

The summer solstice has been celebrated for centuries as a significant astronomical event. It marks the beginning of summer and is often seen as a time of renewal and abundance.

3. What are some traditional ways of celebrating the summer solstice?

Some traditional ways of celebrating the summer solstice include bonfires, feasting, dancing, and wearing floral crowns. Many cultures also have specific rituals and ceremonies that are performed during this time.

4. Are there any scientific benefits to celebrating the summer solstice?

While there are no direct scientific benefits, celebrating the summer solstice can have positive effects on mental health by promoting connection with nature and community. It can also serve as a reminder to slow down and appreciate the changing of the seasons.

5. How can I participate in celebrations for the summer solstice?

There are many ways to participate in celebrations for the summer solstice. You can attend local events, create your own rituals and traditions, or simply spend time outdoors and appreciate the longest day of the year. You can also research the history and significance of the summer solstice to gain a deeper understanding of the holiday.