1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Summer Study

1. Jun 29, 2010 #1
    Hello! Is there a good math or physics topic for me to study and learn this summer? I have already taken freshman physics 1 and 2 (basic mechanics and electromagnetism) Calc 1&2, and Diff Eq. In the fall, Ill be taking Calc 3, Intermediate Physics, and Advanced Mechanics, so is there something interesting I could study that would not overlap with those classes? It doesn't need to be purely academic in nature; it could be a lecture series or an interesting book on math and/or physics.Thank you!
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 29, 2010 #2
    Consider studying statistics. Its a very important and interesting subject, and many students from many places have complained about not getting enough of it in their programs.
  4. Jun 29, 2010 #3
    Ok! Im guessing that would be calc based statistics right? AP stat in high school was without calc, and (perhaps consequently) wasn't that exciting.
  5. Jun 30, 2010 #4
    Statistics plus probability theory (with calculus) would be an excellent choice! It'll pay off for sure. Or a more theoretical mathematics course such as abstract algebra or topology to learn how modern mathematics works. This too is going to pay off later on in your graduate studies.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook