Summer undergrad research position

In summary: It is always important to look closely at what a school has to offer as opposed to blindly believing what a school's name or prestige might suggest.In summary, Lawrence Technological University in Southfield, MI has a great research program involving the interface between chemistry and physics. Indiana University is also a school that the chair of the natural sciences program mentioned as a possible destination for a research position. Hope College, which has an excellent undergraduate research program involving the interface between chem and physics, is ranked number 4 in the country.
leright
I am currently a junior dual major in ACS chemistry and professional physics and I am intererested in picking up an undergraduate research position in the summer. I am just curious what types of positions are in my league. I have a 3.3 GPA, which is kinda weak, but I hope to bring it up to around a 3.4 by the end of the Fall semester. I attend Lawrence Technological University in Southfield, MI and currently have no research experience.

Would crazy schools like MIT and Cornell be completely out of my league? What about schools like UM ann arbor or Indiana University? The chair of the natural sciences program said he'd push hard to get me into a good program, and kept mentioning Indiana University, and he also said he could probably get me into a school like Hope College, which has an excellent undergraduate research program involving the interface between chem and physics. In fact, Hope was ranked number 4 in the country for undergrad research a couple years ago, ranked among schools like MIT, and UM. The chair of the natsci program told me he was the Ph.D advisor of the current head of the research program at Hope, so my chances of getting a spot there are pretty good I guess.

I would like to get into research that is close to the interface between chemistry and physics.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
It depends on what you want to do. If you're interested in theory, as an undergrad you'll be pretty much out of your league anywhere you go. If experimental, then maybe not.

Never underestimate yourself; it is always better to overextend your reach. I would say anyone here remembering their first research experience would say that they were completely overwhelmed and felt totally inadequate for the task.

As for mixing chemistry and physics, I know at my school (Georgia Tech) one of the professors does a lot of stuff with chemical physics, silicas and all that. Look up the REU program and see what you think. If you don't like the hot weather or the research going on isn't up your alley, look around other REU programs. There are a ton of programs for undergraduate research if you just look.

Well, the thing is I am not the greatest experimentalist...in fact, I am downright terrible...so I would like to focus on theoretical physics/chemistry.

But an experimental summer research position would be a great experience to develop my lab skills.

I just want to know what kinds of GPAs big time universities like MIT look for, and if I have any chance at all getting a research position somewhere like that.

I am doing an Undergraduate summer research program right now, I think the main thing they look for is good upper divsion grades in the subject you wish to do research in and also good letter of recommendations.

leright said:
Well, the thing is I am not the greatest experimentalist...in fact, I am downright terrible...so I would like to focus on theoretical physics/chemistry.

But an experimental summer research position would be a great experience to develop my lab skills.

I just want to know what kinds of GPAs big time universities like MIT look for, and if I have any chance at all getting a research position somewhere like that.

I have mentioned this several times before (and in my So You Want To Be A Physicist series), but I'll say it again.

Go look at the Dept. of Energy website and look for Summer Internships program. This program gives research experience to science/math/engineering/comp sci/etc to undergraduate students at various DOE National Laboratories.

http://www.scied.science.doe.gov/SciEd/erulf/about.html

This is a HIGHLY competitive and sought-after opportunity because you not only get to work with renowned scientists and engineers, but also you get to pad your resume with it after you graduate. Especially if your school does not have the facility to do a lot of research work, this could be to your advantage to apply and point this out since it is the mission of this program to give students lacking the opportunity to do reserch work the chance to do so.

You should also go to the various US Nat'l Labs website and look at their Educational programs. Each of them has their own openings and programs for undergraduate research involvement independent of the DOE programs. Example:

http://www.anl.gov/Careers/Education/index.html

"Big time universities" have NOTHING on these labs in terms of opening their research facilities for undergraduate involvement from other institutions.

Zz.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting thread of you Zz. Ps, i really like how you learn new people to look at the socalled US top universities with critical eyes in order to avoid geting blinded by posh sounding names that do not tell anything about a new student's personal research abilities. This is a point you make, that i totally agree with

just my opinion

marlon

Wow,this intership program of the DOE sounds really good,but unfortunately I'm not a US citizen, do you know any programs like this for non-US-citizen or any european programs?
i know that CERN has a summer student program,but it's not for undergrads.
for this summer i applied at the Max-planck-institute(i'm from germany,the MPIs are very popular here)for a intership,but I'm not sure if they'll take me,since i have the same problem as leright:no research experience...

daba said:
Wow,this intership program of the DOE sounds really good,but unfortunately I'm not a US citizen, do you know any programs like this for non-US-citizen or any european programs?
for this summer i applied at the Max-planck-institute(i'm from germany,the MPIs are very popular here)for a intership,but I'm not sure if they'll take me,since i have the same problem as leright:no research experience...

I'm not sure if I can help you with that since my knowledge of other programs in other countries is severely limited. I think not having any research experience should not stop you from applying to the various Max Planck institute. After all, if they are doing an educational program, that is the whole point of giving research opportunity, which is to people who do NOT have research backgrounds.

Hopefully, someone more familiar with these things can post something here.

Zz.

daba said:
These are some of the summer internships offered by my university UGent. We alsohave possibilities for CERN, but indeed like you said those are not for undergraduates.

http://www.helmholtz.de/
http://www.gsi.de/
http://www.fz-juelich.de/
http://www.desy.de/

regards
marlon

Hhave you asked at your own university daba? That's how I got my own summerjob, by simply going to a prof at the department I wanted to work in and asking. And I even got asked to continue part time after the summer too.

hey if i am a US student, is it possible for me to research in Europe? would room and board be free?

thx a lot for your answers!
i know that its pretty easy to get a summer position at my own university,that's why i applied at the MPIs first,and if they don't take me I can still go to the reserch groups at the university. because I've talked to others who told me that having spent time at an non-university-instititution is more preferred by some future employers,i don't know if it's true...
@JasonJo take a look at CERN:
http://humanresources.web.cern.ch/HumanResources/external/recruitment/students/summ/summ.asp
US student can apply for the summer students prog and there is also a special prog just for the US.
the selection is pretty tough,but once selected,you don't have to pay anything

1. What is a summer undergraduate research position?

A summer undergraduate research position is a temporary paid or unpaid opportunity for undergraduate students to work alongside experienced researchers in a specific field of study during the summer months. It allows students to gain hands-on experience and develop their research skills outside of the regular academic year.

2. How do I find a summer undergraduate research position?

There are several ways to find a summer undergraduate research position. You can start by checking with your university's career center or reaching out to professors in your field of interest. You can also search online for research programs or reach out to organizations that offer research opportunities to undergraduate students.

3. What qualifications do I need for a summer undergraduate research position?

The qualifications for a summer undergraduate research position may vary depending on the specific program or organization. Generally, you should have a strong academic record and a passion for the field of research. Some programs may also require previous research experience, specific skills, or a minimum GPA.

4. Is a summer undergraduate research position necessary for my career?

A summer undergraduate research position is not necessary for all careers, but it can be beneficial for certain fields such as scientific research, engineering, or healthcare. It can provide valuable experience, networking opportunities, and help you determine if a certain area of research is the right fit for you.

5. Can I receive academic credit for a summer undergraduate research position?

Many universities offer academic credit for summer undergraduate research positions. However, this may vary depending on your school's policies and the program you are participating in. It is best to check with your academic advisor or the program coordinator to see if academic credit is available.