Exploring Lake Winnipesaukee: My Summer Vacation Plans

• Thread starter Jimmy Snyder
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lake Summer
In summary, Jimmy is going on a trip next week to Laconia, NH and he will go to a track day there with friends from his local cycle shop. He also plans to go kayaking or camping somewhere on an island off of New Hampshire.
Jimmy Snyder
Next week I'm packing up the family and heading for Laconia, NH. We'll be near, but not on the shore of Lake Winnipesaukee. Winnipesaukee is, of course, a Native American name reputed to mean either "The Smile of the Great Spirit", "Beautiful Water in a High Place", "Lakes Region", "Good Smooth Water at Outlet", or "Land Around Lake", depending upon which person who doesn't know that you ask. To me it means "Many Fond Childhood Memories" as my grandparents lived there and ran a cottage resort in the summers. Actually, their place was on the shores of Lake Winnisquam. That's also a Native American name that means "Kangaroo". We'll spend a week in a timeshare resort that we got in exchange for our unit in Fallujah during the bombing season. What are your summer vacation plans?

Physics news on Phys.org
Jimmy Snyder said:
Actually, their place was on the shores of Lake Winnisquam. That's also a Native American name that means "Kangaroo".

Makes sense to me. After all, how many buffalo are there between Lake Erie and Lake Ontario?

Must be the Native American spelling of the French word for baby carrier. Native Americans must have had as many problems pronouncing French words as European Americans did.

Jimmy Snyder said:
Next week I'm packing up the family and heading for Laconia, NH. We'll be near, but not on the shore of Lake Winnipesaukee. Winnipesaukee is, of course, a Native American name reputed to mean either "The Smile of the Great Spirit", "Beautiful Water in a High Place", "Lakes Region", "Good Smooth Water at Outlet", or "Land Around Lake", depending upon which person who doesn't know that you ask. To me it means "Many Fond Childhood Memories" as my grandparents lived there and ran a cottage resort in the summers. Actually, their place was on the shores of Lake Winnisquam. That's also a Native American name that means "Kangaroo". We'll spend a week in a timeshare resort that we got in exchange for our unit in Fallujah during the bombing season. What are your summer vacation plans?

Jimmy,

Not a vacation, a day outing to the Loudon Raceway next Tuesday for a Track Day with 30 or so guys from our local Cycle Shop. Hopefully, the experience will will be one that results in "Many Fond Adult Memories" with no moments of sheer terror, or worse yet, injury. I have confidence in my friends at the shop, and with the instructors at the track. I saw how track days are conducted about a month ago.

That being said, venturing into the the unknown always produces a bit of fear and anxiety (in sane people that is, hehe). If this turns out to be something that moves me, there are people locally that go up and down the coast (Vanson Leathers staff for instance) and go from track to track to ride, and have fun, promote and sell their products as they go. Not a bad way to spend your summer if you are into that sort of thing. If this turns out to be something that I really like, I will try to make it happen, and more often.

I fall kayaked/camped for a weekend on an island off of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squam_Lake" in Holderness with a small group a few years back and had a good time, very relaxing. It was fun because I never kayak camped before. Have fun with your family in the condo, it should be a blast.

Rhody... :approve:

Last edited by a moderator:
rhody said:
Loudon Raceway
We won't be there. However, I remember Motorcycle week in Laconia when I was 7 years old. Some of the bikers were staying at my grandparents' resort and they were lined up to give me rides. I spent a good part of one very happy day on the back seat of about a half dozen bikes.

BobG said:
Must be the Native American spelling of the French word for baby carrier.
That would be porte-bébé. I guess the e sounded like i to Native American ears.

Jimmy Snyder said:
That would be porte-bébé. I guess the e sounded like i to Native American ears.

Or kangourou (as in poche kangourou).

BobG said:
Or kangourou (as in poche kangourou).
Oooh, I missed that one by a mile. Sorry.

We are going South, but on different continent.

There are two parts of the trip. First, I am going alone, somewhere around July 4th. I have no plan - that is, lack of the plan is part of the plan. The only thing that limits me is that I have to be at Split airport on July 14th to meet Marzena. This is when second part starts. We will go for about two weeks at Hvar island (most likely in Jelsa or Vrboska, but who knows). In early August we have booked room in Budapest. Whatever happens in between will be decided on a daily basis.

Haven't had a vacation in twelve years and don't plan to start now.

Still can't bring myself to consider anything involving an airport or hotels, a vacation. At this point I'd be happy if I never saw an airport again. A bit ironic given that Boeing is my main customer.

And I hate driving. To me, a road trip is akin to Chinese water torture.

Correction, my next planned vacation is a trip to Russia to fly a Mig. For that I'll travel.

Borek said:
We are going South, but on different continent.

There are two parts of the trip. First, I am going alone, somewhere around July 4th. I have no plan - that is, lack of the plan is part of the plan. The only thing that limits me is that I have to be at Split airport on July 14th to meet Marzena. This is when second part starts. We will go for about two weeks at Hvar island (most likely in Jelsa or Vrboska, but who knows). In early August we have booked room in Budapest. Whatever happens in between will be decided on a daily basis.
I haven't done an unplanned trip in a long time. They are fun though. No worries bout the next destination or if you're on schedule.

Next vacation is a Transatlantic cruise in August. That will be very planned. :biggrin:

We just got back from our vacation to NH. There wasn't much traffic, I guess everyone else was away on vacation too. We saw Concord where the first shots of the American revolutionary war were fired. Salem, center of the tobacco industry and site of the infamous witch trials. Manchester, home of the industrial revolution. Rochester with its famous Institute of Technology. Nashua, home of the Dolphins. But we spent most of the time in Laconia, with its spartan beauty. We took the tour of Lake Winnipesaukee on the Mt. Washington. The original mountain burnt down in 1939 and all that's left now is the boat. This was my first trip on the boat. When I was a child, my parents owned a hotel in Gilford on the lake. The hotel is still in business and we visited there and talked with the current owners. Thus I was reminded of what the place looked like and was able to recognize it from the boat as we passed by. I remember quite well as a child watching the boat go by the hotel. The weather was perfect all week long and I spend most of the time by the pool or on Weirs Beach. Although I spent a lot of time in Laconia and Tilton as a child, my parents never took me to Weirs Beach. As a small child I thought of it as an amusement park. When I became a teenager, I thought of it as a place to meet girls. However, I never actually got to go there until this vacation. It's a 1 block long row of game arcades, junk food emporia and a very nice beach. Atlantic City in miniature.

Jimmy Snyder said:
We just got back from our vacation to NH. There wasn't much traffic, I guess everyone else was away on vacation too. We saw Concord where the first shots of the American revolutionary war were fired. Salem, center of the tobacco industry and site of the infamous witch trials...

I haven't been back to N.H. in over ten years. It surprises me to find out they moved Salem, Massachusetts to N.H. That must have taken a lot of work. Good for the economy, I guess: lots of jobs.

1. What is the purpose of exploring Lake Winnipesaukee?

The purpose of exploring Lake Winnipesaukee is to experience the beauty and nature of the lake and its surrounding areas. It is also a popular tourist destination where visitors can engage in various outdoor activities such as boating, fishing, and hiking.

2. What are some popular attractions at Lake Winnipesaukee?

Some popular attractions at Lake Winnipesaukee include Mount Major, Weirs Beach, and Castle in the Clouds. Visitors can also take a scenic cruise on the lake or visit one of the many islands, such as Bear Island or Rattlesnake Island.

3. What types of wildlife can be found at Lake Winnipesaukee?

Lake Winnipesaukee is home to a diverse range of wildlife, including various species of fish, birds, mammals, and reptiles. Some commonly spotted animals include loons, bald eagles, moose, and black bears.

4. What are some safety measures to keep in mind while exploring Lake Winnipesaukee?

It is important to always wear a life jacket while on a boat or participating in water activities. Visitors should also be cautious of changing weather conditions and follow all safety guidelines for boating and swimming. Additionally, it is important to be aware of any potential wildlife encounters and to properly dispose of any trash to keep the lake clean.

5. Are there any nearby accommodations for visitors exploring Lake Winnipesaukee?

Yes, there are many accommodations available near Lake Winnipesaukee, including hotels, cabins, and campsites. Visitors can also find various restaurants and shops in the nearby towns of Meredith, Wolfeboro, and Laconia.