1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Summer work for physics

1. Feb 10, 2007 #1
    I'm in my third year of undergrad mathematical physics, at University of Alberta, Canada. I want to find a job this summer that pays decently, but is strongly related to my field. Thing is, I don't know where to start looking really, do you guys have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 10, 2007 #2
    I do. Ask your professors about REU opportunities. It might have a slightly different name at your university, but REUs are basically paid summer research opportunities for undergraduates. It's not a "job" per se. But you make about the same amount of money, and your research will be in some area of physics.

4. Feb 13, 2007 #3
    We have them at our university in Auckalnd NZ, they pay better than a summer job and are tax free :D

5. Feb 14, 2007 #4

Mute

Homework Helper

Yes, in Canada the equivalent are "NSERC USRA"'s - "National Science and Engineering Research Council of Canada Undergraduate Research Awards".

It might be a little late to apply for these now, but it might be worth looking at some of the university websites to see if there are any whose deadlines haven't passed yet.

You can also try looking at TRIUMF, out at UBC, to see if they're still taking applications for any summer jobs: www.triumf.ca. Unfortunately, I think all of the jobs listed under "Undergraduate Student Jobs" had a deadline of Jan 24th, but who knows, something might open up in the future.

You can also try this, whose deadline is still open:

http://cqiqc.physics.utoronto.ca/job-openings/CQIQC2007.pdf

At very least, if you're not going to graduate next year (or even if you are), these are things to keep in mind for next year.

6. Feb 15, 2007 #5
    Hmm, are there anything besides REUs in the summer?

7. Feb 15, 2007 #6
    Doesn't your university offer COOP?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?