Preparing for General Relativity and Quantum Mechanics: A Summer Study Guide

In summary, Jonny is looking for learning material over the summer to prepare for first year college. They have completed first year calculus and physics and are interested in learning vector calculus/multivariable calculus to eventually study General Relativity and Quantum Mechanics. They plan on watching MIT video lectures but would also like additional online material to practice math and physics. They are considering studying differential geometry/tensors for GR, but may start with a dover book on linear algebra to build a strong foundation.
Jonnyb42
Ok so I was just hoping if I could get some learning material over the summer. I have currently finished first year calculus and am ready to learn vector calculus/multivariable calculus. I have also finished first year physics. I would like to know enough math to learn General Relativity and then Quantum Mechanics later on.

I am planning on watching as many MIT video lectures as possible, however there doesn't seem to be enough actual calculating and practicing with the math, so could anyone suggest some online material (free) that I could use to practice the math and physics I learn.

Anything I could use to get to GR and QM eventually would be great, thanks!

Jonny

(this is for the summertime, I am starting first year college afterwards, however I cannot wait!)

Physics news on Phys.org
The math you want to study is differential geometry/tensors for general relativity. With your current experience, you probably don't want to attack this just yet - it won't be very productive.

Maybe get a dover book on linear algebra and work though the material and all the problems?

1. What is "Summertime Physics Study"?

"Summertime Physics Study" is a program designed to help students continue their physics education during the summer months. It typically consists of classes, workshops, and hands-on experiments to enhance understanding and retention of physics concepts.

2. Who can participate in "Summertime Physics Study"?

Any student interested in furthering their understanding of physics is welcome to participate in "Summertime Physics Study". This program is often geared towards high school and college students, but may also be open to younger students who have a strong interest in physics.

3. When does "Summertime Physics Study" take place?

The timing of "Summertime Physics Study" varies depending on the institution or organization offering the program. Some may offer it during the entire summer break, while others may have specific dates or sessions. It is best to check with the specific program for their schedule.

4. What topics are covered in "Summertime Physics Study"?

The topics covered in "Summertime Physics Study" can vary, but typically include fundamental concepts such as mechanics, thermodynamics, electricity and magnetism, and optics. Some programs may also offer more specialized topics such as astrophysics or quantum mechanics.

5. How can "Summertime Physics Study" benefit students?

"Summertime Physics Study" can benefit students by allowing them to continue their education and stay engaged with physics during the summer break. It can also help students improve their understanding and retention of physics concepts, as well as provide opportunities for hands-on experimentation and collaboration with other students.