1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Summing an infinite series

1. Apr 18, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Show that ##\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{n^{4}}=\frac{\pi^{4}}{90}##.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

##\frac{1}{n^{4}} = \frac{1}{1^{4}} + \frac{1}{2^{4}} + \frac{1}{3^{4}} + \dots##.

Do I now factorise?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 18, 2016 #2
    No, I'm pretty sure there's no way to directly perform the summation in this form.

You can either make use of the integral form of the Riemann zeta function or a neat trick using Fourier series (Parseval's theorem).

4. Apr 18, 2016 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your "equation"
    [tex] \frac{1}{n^{4}} = \frac{1}{1^{4}} + \frac{1}{2^{4}} + \frac{1}{3^{4}} + \dots [/tex]
    is wrong. The only time it could be correct is if ##n = 1## and you include only one term on the right-hand-side.

The solution to your problem cannot involve just pre-calculus methods, but instead, very likey involves advanced methods in calculus that use matrrial beyond that found in first or second courses in calculus.

5. Apr 18, 2016 #4
    A typo!

6. Apr 18, 2016 #5

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

OK, but the rest of my answer applies unchanged.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2016
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted