Summing Torques about a square

In summary: I'll correct that. Yes, that's also an approach, I just used the other one because I thought it would be more straight forward to show where the sine comes from, and to show that it works for any force, not just for F3. Thank you for pointing out the typo, I'll correct it right away.
sreya

Homework Statement

A square metal plate 0.180 m on each side is pivoted about an axis through point O at its center and perpendicular to the plate (Figure 1) .

Calculate the net torque about this axis due to the three forces shown in the figure if the magnitudes of the forces are F1 = 25.0N , F2 = 15.5N , and F3 = 17.0N . The plate and all forces are in the plane of the page. Take positive torques to be counterclockwise.

yf_Figure_10_40.jpg

Homework Equations

[itex]\tau=rFsin(\phi)[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex]rF2+rF3-rF1*sin(45) = .675[/itex], r=.09

Apparently that's incorrect though, could anyone provide insight as to why?

Solution

There are two ways to express torque:

[itex]\tau = r(Fsin\phi)=rF_t[/itex]
[itex]\tau = rsin\phi F =r_{\perp}F[/itex]

So, the solution would go like so:

[itex]r_1=r_2=r_3=\frac{l}{2sin\theta}[/itex] where [itex]\theta=45[/itex] and l = length of side
[itex]r(F_1*sin(45)+F_3-F_2*sin(45))[/itex]

Since the moment arm ([itex]t_{\perp}[/itex]) forms a 45 degree angle with F1 and F2

So unlike i tried in the beginning the real equation has the form:

[itex]F_1r_{\perp}-F_2r_{\perp}+rF_t[/itex] where [itex]F_3=F_t[/itex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Looks like you set it up fine in the first equation. You probably just did an arithmetic mistake somewhere.

paisiello2 said:
Looks like you set it up fine in the first equation. You probably just did an arithmetic mistake somewhere.

Not quite.

sreya said:

Homework Statement

A square metal plate 0.180 m on each side is pivoted about an axis through point O at its center and perpendicular to the plate (Figure 1) .

Calculate the net torque about this axis due to the three forces shown in the figure if the magnitudes of the forces are F1 = 25.0N , F2 = 15.5N , and F3 = 17.0N . The plate and all forces are in the plane of the page. Take positive torques to be counterclockwise.

yf_Figure_10_40.jpg

Homework Equations

[itex]\tau=rFsin(\phi)[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex]rF2+rF3-rF1*sin(45) = .675[/itex], r=.09
By the equation above, you have the sin(45) associated with F1. Which force is at the 45o angle? Is it F1 or F3?

(using r = 0.09 m, in this case).

Apparently that's incorrect though, could anyone provide insight as to why?
Just try to be a little more careful which vectors are at an angle, and which are not.

Solution

There are two ways to express torque:

[itex]\tau = r(Fsin\phi)=rF_t[/itex]
[itex]\tau = rsin\phi F =r_{\perp}F[/itex]

So, the solution would go like so:

[itex]r_1=r_2=r_3=\frac{l}{2sin\theta}[/itex] where [itex]\theta=45[/itex] and l = length of side
[itex]r(F_1*sin(45)+F_3-F_2*sin(45))[/itex]

Since the moment arm ([itex]t_{\perp}[/itex]) forms a 45 degree angle with F1 and F2

So unlike i tried in the beginning the real equation has the form:

[itex]F_1r_{\perp}-F_2r_{\perp}+rF_t[/itex] where [itex]F_3=F_t[/itex]

I'm not sure I follow you on that 100%, but from what I assume you are doing, it might be a valid approach. There is one problem though regarding your signs. Two of the forces produce a counterclockwise torque (positive for this problem) and one of your forces produces a clockwise torque (negative for this problem). Which is which?

Last edited:
F1 and F3 produce a counterclockwise torque, F2 produces a clockwise, I thought that was evident by the signs associated with each torque:

[itex]r(F1∗sin(45)+F3−F2∗sin(45))[/itex]

There are other angles in my solution that I couldn't draw on the picture, I didn't mean to assume that the angle theta given in the problem somehow relates to the other two forces. The reason there is no sine associated with the F3 is because the force is already perpendicular to r.

The reason the other two forces have sines associated with their forces is because they do not act on r at a perpendicular angle and since their components are itself (in the y) and 0 (in the x) you have to associate the sine with the moment arm (which is the component of r that is perpendicular to the force), all the angles just happen to be equal 45 degrees due to the nature of a square

Last edited:
sreya said:
r(F1∗sin(45)+F3−F2∗sin(45))

From your diagram F2 and F3 produce a counterclockwise torque. F1 produces a clockwise torque.

But other than the signs your formula is correct.

I think it would be more straight forward to just take F2 and F1 with l/2 lever arms directly rather than convert them to the same lever arm as F3. Less work and less chance of making a mistake.

Oh! Yes, you are absolutely right that's a typo, F1 should have a negative value and F2 should be positive

1. What is the concept of summing torques about a square?

The concept of summing torques about a square is a mathematical calculation used to determine the net torque on a square object. It involves finding the individual torque vectors acting on each side of the square and adding them together to find the resultant torque.

2. How is the direction of torque determined when summing torques about a square?

The direction of torque is determined by the right-hand rule, where the direction of the torque vector is perpendicular to both the direction of the applied force and the direction of rotation.

3. Can you explain the difference between clockwise and counterclockwise torque?

Clockwise torque is when the rotation of an object occurs in the same direction as the rotating force, while counterclockwise torque is when the rotation is in the opposite direction of the applied force.

4. How does the position of the force affect the torque when summing torques about a square?

The position of the force affects the torque by changing the lever arm, which is the perpendicular distance from the applied force to the axis of rotation. The larger the lever arm, the greater the torque will be.

5. What is the importance of summing torques about a square in real-world applications?

Summing torques about a square is important in understanding the stability and equilibrium of objects, such as bridges and buildings. It is also crucial in mechanical engineering and designing machines that can efficiently produce torque for various purposes.