1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Summing up this series

1. Oct 14, 2013 #1

utkarshakash

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let An = [itex]\sum_{r=1}^n arccos \frac{r}{n} [/itex] and Bn=[itex]\sum_{r=0}^{n-1} arccos \frac{r}{n} [/itex] for n=1,2,3....... then

A)A(2010) < 2010 and B(2010)>2010
    B)A(2010) > 2010 and B(2010)<2010
    C)A(n) < B(n) for all n
    D)[itex]\lim_{n \to \infty} \dfrac{A_n}{n} = 1 [/itex]

More than one option is correct.

3. The attempt at a solution

Finding A(2010) seems really challenging. I start by writing out all the terms manually.

arccos(1/2010)+arccos(2/2010)+arccos(3/2010)+arccos(4/2010)+..... ..arccos(2010/2010)

Atmost I can only simplify the last term to 0. But what about the rest of the terms? The formula arccosx + arccosy = arccos{xy − √[(1 − x2)(1 − y2)]} doesn't help. It only makes the terms more complicated.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2013 #2

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

For A and B there is no way they expect you to evaluate that series directly - it's going to come from a more general statement like A(n) < n for all n, or A(n) > n for all n.

As far as how to do that I recommend thinking about these series as Riemann sums (modulo a little algebra) if you have covered that.

4. Oct 15, 2013 #3

utkarshakash

Gold Member

So this is basically an integral where subintervals are of unit length and the function is arccos(x) and that instead of finding the sum I should find the integral. Is this what you mean?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted