Sums and Integrals in my letcures

In summary, in these lectures, the methods of evaluating a sum by converting it into an integral in n-space or converting it into an integral in k-space or energy space are discussed. This decision can be based on the given information, such as g(\epsilon) for energy space, but both methods are equivalent and give different results.
latentcorpse
at the very end of this lecture
http://www.ph.ed.ac.uk/~pmonthou/Statistical-Mechanics/documents/SM10.pdf

and the very beginning of this lecture
http://www.ph.ed.ac.uk/~pmonthou/Statistical-Mechanics/documents/SM11.pdf

we look at evaluating this sum by making it into an integral by two different methods :

(i) the sum and integral are both in n-space
(ii) the sum in n-space is converted into either an integral in k-space or energy space.

How do you know which method to use? would it just depend on the information given to you in an exam, i.e. if you were given say [itex]g(\epsilon)[/itex] you would realize you have to convert to energy space - or am i completely missing the point here?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
It's just a change of variables. Both methods are basically equivalent, assuming the approximation at the very end of SM10 (10th wk. of Stat. Mech., I presume). However, the first one determines Z, whereas the second one gives the density of states, which is usually in terms of energy (momentum), not the mode number of energy (momentum).

1. What is the difference between a sum and an integral?

A sum is a mathematical operation that involves adding a sequence of numbers. An integral, on the other hand, is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve. In other words, a sum is a discrete calculation while an integral is a continuous calculation.

2. Why are sums and integrals important in science?

Sums and integrals are important in science because they allow us to model and analyze continuous phenomena, such as motion, growth, and decay. They also allow us to calculate important quantities such as average value, maximum value, and total change.

3. How do you calculate a sum or integral?

To calculate a sum, you simply add up all the numbers in the sequence. To calculate an integral, you need to use a mathematical formula called the integral function, which involves finding the antiderivative of a given function and evaluating it at two points.

4. Can sums and integrals be used in real-world applications?

Yes, sums and integrals are used in a variety of real-world applications, such as physics, engineering, economics, and statistics. They are used to model and analyze various phenomena, such as the motion of objects, the growth of populations, and the behavior of markets.

5. What are some common misconceptions about sums and integrals?

One common misconception is that sums and integrals are only used in advanced mathematics. In reality, they are used in many fields and can be understood and applied by anyone with a basic understanding of algebra. Another misconception is that integrals are only used to find the area under a curve, when in fact they have many other applications, such as calculating volume and solving differential equations.