1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sums Of Infinte Series

1. Mar 16, 2009 #1
    Decide (with justification) if the following series converges or diverges;

Sum(1,infinty) (2^(n)+3^(n))/(4^(n)+5^(n))

I've tried using the ratio test but I couldn't see that it was helping in any way, should I be using a different type of test for this problem? I really can't see where to start with this one.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 16, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Try and think of a clever comparison to which you can apply the ratio test. E.g. (2^n+3^n)/(4^n+5^n)<=(3^n+3^n)/(4^n+4^n). See, I substituted a larger numerator and a smaller denominator?

4. Mar 16, 2009 #3
    So if you apply the ratio test to the (3^(n)+3^(n))/(4^(n)+4^(n)) you find that this series converges as l<1 (l=3/4?). Is it then allowable to say that the original series converges as it is less than (3^(n)+3^(n))/(4^(n)+4^(n)) and therefore the limit must be lees than the limit of the above series and hence it must converge.

5. Mar 16, 2009 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You tell me, ok? Look up the comparison test for series and make sure all the requirements are fulfilled. It's good practice.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook