1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sums: Substituting two sums

1. Jan 11, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hi all.

Lets assume that we know the following:

[tex]
    \sum\limits_{n = - \infty }^\infty {\varepsilon _n (t)} \exp ( - i\omega _n t) = a_0 + \sum\limits_{n = 1}^\infty {\varepsilon _n (t)} \exp ( - i\omega _n t),
    [/tex]

where a0 is the contribution for n=0. Now I have an expression for a function f given by the following:

[tex]
    f = \sum\limits_{n = - \infty }^\infty {\varepsilon _n (t)} \exp ( - i\omega _n t)\frac{1}{{Z(\omega _n )}}.
    [/tex]

Am I allowed to write f as this?:

[tex]
    f = a_0 \frac{1}{{Z(\omega _0 )}} + \sum\limits_{n = 1}^\infty {\varepsilon _n (t)} \exp ( - i\omega _n t)\frac{1}{{Z(\omega _n )}},
    [/tex]

i.e. substitute the sum? Personally, I think yes, but I am a little unsure, which is why I thought it would be best to check here. Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
    Niles.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 11, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

This appears to be saying that
    [tex]\sum\limites_{n=-\infty}^{-1}\varepsilon_n(t)}\exp(-i\omega_n t)= 0[/itex]

But that does NOT mean that

[tex]\sum\limits_{n = -\infty}^{-1} {\varepsilon _n (t)} \exp ( - i\omega _n t)\frac{1}{{Z(\omega _n )}}= 0[/tex]
    since the [itex]Z(\omega_n)[/itex] term may change the contribution of each indvidual term in the sum.

4. Jan 11, 2009 #3
    Aw man, I made an error in my first post. Very stupid of me, because now I made you look at something which was not my intention; I am very sorry for that.

What I meant to write is the following (I'm still really sorry, I should have taken a closer look before posting):

Lets assume that we know the following:
    [tex]
    \sum\limits_{n = - \infty }^\infty {\varepsilon _n (t)} \exp ( - i\omega _n t) = a_0 + \sum\limits_{n = 1}^\infty {n^2} \exp ( - i\omega _n t).
    [/tex]

Now we look at an expression for a function f given by the following:
    [tex]
    f = \sum\limits_{n = - \infty }^\infty {\varepsilon _n (t)} \exp ( - i\omega _n t)\frac{1}{{Z(\omega _n )}}.
    [/tex]

Am I allowed to write f as:
    [tex]
    f = a_0 \frac{1}{{Z(\omega _0 )}} + \sum\limits_{n = 1}^\infty {n^2} \exp ( - i\omega _n t)\frac{1}{{Z(\omega _n )}}.
    [/tex]

I have double-checked, and the formulas are correct now. Sorry, again.

Best regards,
    Niles.

5. Jan 11, 2009 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

And the answer is still "No". Because [itex]Z(\omega_n)[/itex] may be different for different n, it can completely change the sum.

6. Jan 11, 2009 #5
    I had actually hoped that you would answer "Yes", because the "No" means that my calculations are wrong. But the quantity [itex]Z(\omega_n)[/itex] does depend on n, so it is different for different n.

I will have to think about this. I guess I made a wrong assumption along the way.. I do that sometimes (as we can also see from this thread :smile:).

Thanks for helping, I really do appreciate it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?