Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Sums: Substituting two sums

1. Jan 11, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hi all.

Lets assume that we know the following:

[tex]
    \sum\limits_{n = - \infty }^\infty {\varepsilon _n (t)} \exp ( - i\omega _n t) = a_0 + \sum\limits_{n = 1}^\infty {\varepsilon _n (t)} \exp ( - i\omega _n t),
    [/tex]

where a0 is the contribution for n=0. Now I have an expression for a function f given by the following:

[tex]
    f = \sum\limits_{n = - \infty }^\infty {\varepsilon _n (t)} \exp ( - i\omega _n t)\frac{1}{{Z(\omega _n )}}.
    [/tex]

Am I allowed to write f as this?:

[tex]
    f = a_0 \frac{1}{{Z(\omega _0 )}} + \sum\limits_{n = 1}^\infty {\varepsilon _n (t)} \exp ( - i\omega _n t)\frac{1}{{Z(\omega _n )}},
    [/tex]

i.e. substitute the sum? Personally, I think yes, but I am a little unsure, which is why I thought it would be best to check here. Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
    Niles.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 11, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

This appears to be saying that
    [tex]\sum\limites_{n=-\infty}^{-1}\varepsilon_n(t)}\exp(-i\omega_n t)= 0[/itex]

But that does NOT mean that

[tex]\sum\limits_{n = -\infty}^{-1} {\varepsilon _n (t)} \exp ( - i\omega _n t)\frac{1}{{Z(\omega _n )}}= 0[/tex]
    since the [itex]Z(\omega_n)[/itex] term may change the contribution of each indvidual term in the sum.

4. Jan 11, 2009 #3
    Aw man, I made an error in my first post. Very stupid of me, because now I made you look at something which was not my intention; I am very sorry for that.

What I meant to write is the following (I'm still really sorry, I should have taken a closer look before posting):

Lets assume that we know the following:
    [tex]
    \sum\limits_{n = - \infty }^\infty {\varepsilon _n (t)} \exp ( - i\omega _n t) = a_0 + \sum\limits_{n = 1}^\infty {n^2} \exp ( - i\omega _n t).
    [/tex]

Now we look at an expression for a function f given by the following:
    [tex]
    f = \sum\limits_{n = - \infty }^\infty {\varepsilon _n (t)} \exp ( - i\omega _n t)\frac{1}{{Z(\omega _n )}}.
    [/tex]

Am I allowed to write f as:
    [tex]
    f = a_0 \frac{1}{{Z(\omega _0 )}} + \sum\limits_{n = 1}^\infty {n^2} \exp ( - i\omega _n t)\frac{1}{{Z(\omega _n )}}.
    [/tex]

I have double-checked, and the formulas are correct now. Sorry, again.

Best regards,
    Niles.

5. Jan 11, 2009 #4

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

And the answer is still "No". Because [itex]Z(\omega_n)[/itex] may be different for different n, it can completely change the sum.

6. Jan 11, 2009 #5
    I had actually hoped that you would answer "Yes", because the "No" means that my calculations are wrong. But the quantity [itex]Z(\omega_n)[/itex] does depend on n, so it is different for different n.

I will have to think about this. I guess I made a wrong assumption along the way.. I do that sometimes (as we can also see from this thread :smile:).

Thanks for helping, I really do appreciate it.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook