Can the Sum of Two Sums be Substituted in a Function?

• Thread starter Niles
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sums
In summary, the conversation discusses whether or not a function f can be written as a sum of a constant term and a modified version of the original sum, taking into account the Z(\omega_n) term. The conclusion is that this is not allowed, as Z(\omega_n) may change the contribution of each individual term in the sum.
Niles

Homework Statement

Hi all.

Lets assume that we know the following:

[tex]
\sum\limits_{n = - \infty }^\infty {\varepsilon _n (t)} \exp ( - i\omega _n t) = a_0 + \sum\limits_{n = 1}^\infty {\varepsilon _n (t)} \exp ( - i\omega _n t),
[/tex]

where a0 is the contribution for n=0. Now I have an expression for a function f given by the following:

[tex]
f = \sum\limits_{n = - \infty }^\infty {\varepsilon _n (t)} \exp ( - i\omega _n t)\frac{1}{{Z(\omega _n )}}.
[/tex]

Am I allowed to write f as this?:

[tex]
f = a_0 \frac{1}{{Z(\omega _0 )}} + \sum\limits_{n = 1}^\infty {\varepsilon _n (t)} \exp ( - i\omega _n t)\frac{1}{{Z(\omega _n )}},
[/tex]

i.e. substitute the sum? Personally, I think yes, but I am a little unsure, which is why I thought it would be best to check here. Thanks in advance.Niles.

Physics news on Phys.org
Niles said:

Homework Statement

Hi all.

[tex]
\sum\limits_{n = - \infty }^\infty {\varepsilon _n (t)} \exp ( - i\omega _n t) = a_0 + \sum\limits_{n = 1}^\infty {\varepsilon _n (t)} \exp ( - i\omega _n t),
[/tex]
This appears to be saying that
[tex]\sum\limites_{n=-\infty}^{-1}\varepsilon_n(t)}\exp(-i\omega_n t)= 0[/itex]

where a0 is the contribution for n=0. Now I have an expression for a function f given by the following:

[tex]
f = \sum\limits_{n = - \infty }^\infty {\varepsilon _n (t)} \exp ( - i\omega _n t)\frac{1}{{Z(\omega _n )}}.
[/tex]

Am I allowed to write f as this?:

[tex]
f = a_0 \frac{1}{{Z(\omega _0 )}} + \sum\limits_{n = 1}^\infty {\varepsilon _n (t)} \exp ( - i\omega _n t)\frac{1}{{Z(\omega _n )}},
[/tex]

i.e. substitute the sum? Personally, I think yes, but I am a little unsure, which is why I thought it would be best to check here. Thanks in advance.

Niles.
But that does NOT mean that

[tex]\sum\limits_{n = -\infty}^{-1} {\varepsilon _n (t)} \exp ( - i\omega _n t)\frac{1}{{Z(\omega _n )}}= 0[/tex]
since the [itex]Z(\omega_n)[/itex] term may change the contribution of each indvidual term in the sum.

Aw man, I made an error in my first post. Very stupid of me, because now I made you look at something which was not my intention; I am very sorry for that.

What I meant to write is the following (I'm still really sorry, I should have taken a closer look before posting):

[tex]
\sum\limits_{n = - \infty }^\infty {\varepsilon _n (t)} \exp ( - i\omega _n t) = a_0 + \sum\limits_{n = 1}^\infty {n^2} \exp ( - i\omega _n t).
[/tex]

Now we look at an expression for a function f given by the following:
[tex]
[/tex]

Am I allowed to write f as:
[tex]
f = a_0 \frac{1}{{Z(\omega _0 )}} + \sum\limits_{n = 1}^\infty {n^2} \exp ( - i\omega _n t)\frac{1}{{Z(\omega _n )}}.
[/tex]

I have double-checked, and the formulas are correct now. Sorry, again.Niles.

And the answer is still "No". Because [itex]Z(\omega_n)[/itex] may be different for different n, it can completely change the sum.

I had actually hoped that you would answer "Yes", because the "No" means that my calculations are wrong. But the quantity [itex]Z(\omega_n)[/itex] does depend on n, so it is different for different n.

I will have to think about this. I guess I made a wrong assumption along the way.. I do that sometimes (as we can also see from this thread :smile:).

Thanks for helping, I really do appreciate it.

1. What is the concept of substituting two sums?

The concept of substituting two sums is a mathematical technique used to simplify complex expressions by replacing two sums with a single sum. This is done by identifying patterns and using algebraic manipulation to rewrite the expression in a more compact form.

2. Why is it useful to substitute two sums?

Substituting two sums can be useful in simplifying complex mathematical expressions, making them easier to understand and work with. It can also help in solving problems and identifying patterns that may not be immediately obvious.

3. What are the steps involved in substituting two sums?

The steps involved in substituting two sums are:

1. Identify any patterns or similarities between the two sums.
  2. Use algebraic manipulation to rewrite the sums in a more compact form.
  3. Substitute the simplified expressions back into the original expression.
  4. Simplify the resulting expression if necessary.

4. Can substituting two sums be used in any type of mathematical expression?

Yes, substituting two sums can be used in any type of mathematical expression as long as there are two sums that can be simplified and replaced with a single sum. However, it may not always result in a simpler expression, so it is important to determine if it is a useful technique for a particular problem.

5. Are there any limitations or restrictions when using the technique of substituting two sums?

There are no specific limitations or restrictions when using the technique of substituting two sums. However, it may not always result in a simpler expression, so it is important to determine if it is a useful technique for a particular problem. Additionally, it may not be applicable in cases where there are no patterns or similarities between the two sums.