Spring IR Melting: The Raspberry Cane Effect

In summary, during the spring season, the sun's higher position and moderate temperatures cause depressions to form under raspberry canes. This is due to the sun heating up the canes and reflecting off the snow, causing them to re-radiate infrared and melt the snow beneath them. This phenomenon is similar to the pits that form around tree-trunks and fence-posts in the snow, but is considered more interesting. It's worth noting that the 4' stakes in the center serve as scale markers. Despite being surrounded by snow for most of their life, the conversation participants have not paid much attention to this occurrence.
turbo
Gold Member
Here is something that I see every spring, when the sun gets higher in the sky and the temps moderate. Notice the depressions under the raspberry canes... The sun heats up the canes, both above and below (reflection from the snow) and the canes re-radiate IR, melting the snow below them, even if the canes are quite distant from the surface of the snow. This is similar in some ways to the pits that form around tree-trunks and fence-posts in the snow, but a little more interesting, IMO. BTW, those are 4' stakes in the center, just for scale.

canes.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Neat, Turbo. It's odd that after having been up to my *** in snow for most of my life, I've never paid any attention to that. I've certainly observed it, but never given it any thought.

Thank you for sharing your observation of the "Raspberry Cane Effect" during spring. It is fascinating to see how the sun's radiation can have a significant impact on the surrounding environment, even in seemingly small ways.

I would like to offer some additional insights into this phenomenon. The melting of snow beneath the raspberry canes is a result of the absorption and re-radiation of infrared (IR) radiation. The canes act as efficient absorbers of solar radiation, and as they heat up, they emit IR radiation in the form of heat. This heat is then transferred to the surrounding snow, causing it to melt.

This process is similar to what happens with tree trunks and fence posts in the snow. The dark color of the canes, along with the reflection of IR radiation from the snow, enhances their ability to absorb and re-radiate heat.

In addition, the depressions under the canes may also be due to the weight of the canes pressing down on the snow, causing it to compact and melt more quickly. This creates a feedback loop, where the more the snow melts, the more heat is absorbed by the canes, leading to further melting.

Overall, the Raspberry Cane Effect is a great example of how even small changes in the environment can have a significant impact. Thank you for sharing your observation, and I hope this explanation adds to your understanding of this interesting phenomenon.

1. What is "Spring IR Melting"?

Spring IR Melting, also known as the Raspberry Cane Effect, is a phenomenon where the canes of raspberry plants melt or disintegrate in early spring due to temperature fluctuations.

2. Why does the Raspberry Cane Effect occur in spring?

The Raspberry Cane Effect occurs in spring because of the changing temperatures. Raspberry canes are made up of a combination of frozen and unfrozen water. As the temperature rises, the frozen water expands, causing the canes to burst and disintegrate.

3. What are the consequences of the Raspberry Cane Effect for raspberry plants?

The Raspberry Cane Effect can lead to significant damage to raspberry plants. The disintegration of the canes can weaken the plant's structure and make it more susceptible to diseases and pests. It can also reduce the plant's yield and quality of the fruit.

4. How can I prevent the Raspberry Cane Effect from happening to my raspberry plants?

To prevent the Raspberry Cane Effect, it is important to select raspberry varieties that are less prone to melting. You can also protect your plants by providing proper winter care, such as pruning, mulching, and covering the plants during extreme temperature fluctuations. Additionally, planting in a location with good air circulation can also help prevent the Raspberry Cane Effect.

5. Is the Raspberry Cane Effect a common occurrence?

The Raspberry Cane Effect is a common occurrence in areas with fluctuating temperatures in early spring. It can also vary from year to year, depending on the severity of the temperature fluctuations. However, with proper care and prevention measures, it can be minimized.