Sun Circumference - A Picture on 04/18/2010

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of using physics and mathematics equations to calculate the phenomenon of a halo around the sun or moon. The person took a picture at noon and wonders if they can use a ruler or known object in the picture to make calculations, but the sun is too far away. Alternatively, they suggest using the properties of the camera and its pixel resolution as a measurement. The person mentions cropping the picture, but the full picture shows two trees on each side that could serve as a reference for distance.
Vi Nguyen
I took this picture on 04/18/2010, and I thought that I see the sun circumference. I just wonder can I calculate the physics and mathematics equations to figure out what is it that I am seeing in this picture. I stood from Earth standpoint, and I took this picture at noon time of the day.

Attachments

• sun 3.png
    sun 3.png
    43.8 KB · Views: 68
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Vi Nguyen said:
I just wonder can I calculate the physics and mathematics equations to figure out what is it that I am seeing in this picture. I stood from Earth standpoint, and I took this picture at noon time of the day.

For calculations we need some kind of metric reference.

Usually a picture is taken with some kind of ruler in the display at the same distance as the object we're interested in.
Or otherwise an object of known size.
That won't work in this case of course as the sun is a bit too far away for that.
We can compensate if we know the distance of the ruler from the camera.
In this case it would help if those trees at the bottom would actually be inside the picture, and if we know the distances between those trees, and the distance of those trees to the camera.

Alternatively, we can combine the properties of a camera with its pixel resolution into a measurement.
We still need to know these properties then.

Preferably we have both, so can verify we got the correct numbers.

You are right, I cropped the picture, that is why you can't see clearly the two trees on each side as a reference. The full picture is as show below:

Attachments

• suncircumference1.png
    suncircumference1.png
    32.7 KB · Views: 56

What is the Sun's circumference?

The Sun's circumference is approximately 4,379,000 kilometers (2,720,000 miles). This measurement is based on the equatorial circumference, as the Sun is not a perfect sphere and its circumference varies slightly at different points.

How was the picture of the Sun's circumference taken?

The picture of the Sun's circumference was taken by the Solar Dynamics Observatory (SDO) on April 18, 2010. The SDO is a satellite that orbits the Earth and constantly observes the Sun, capturing images in different wavelengths of light.

Why does the Sun's circumference matter?

The Sun's circumference is an important measurement for understanding the size and structure of the Sun. It also helps scientists study the Sun's rotation and the effects of its magnetic field on the solar system.

How does the Sun's circumference compare to other stars?

Compared to other stars, the Sun's circumference is relatively small. It is classified as a medium-sized star, with many stars in the universe being much larger in size.

Can the Sun's circumference change?

The Sun's circumference can vary slightly due to changes in its rotation and magnetic activity. However, these changes are relatively small and do not significantly affect the overall measurement of the Sun's circumference.