1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sun Help

1. Jan 27, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider the Sun to be a sphere of hydrogen gas of uniform density equal to its
    average density (1440 kg/m3).

a) Integrate the equation of hydrostatic equilibrium for dP/dr from the Sun’s radius to the
    core to estimate the central pressure in Pa and in atmospheres. Assume the pressure at the
    surface is zero.
    Consider a spherical volume of radius 1 meter at the very centre of the Sun. Assume that
    this volume contains only H nuclei and enough electrons to keep the volume electrically
    neutral at a temperature of 15 million K .

b) What is the number density of atoms and of electrons (free electrons obey the same gas
    law as atoms or ionized nuclei!) required to provide enough pressure to match your
    estimate of part a)?

c) Now consider that the H in the volume fuses instantly into helium, four H combining
    to produce one He, via the mechanisms of the proton-proton chain. Assuming no particles
    escape the volume, is the volume still electrically neutral? Why? [Hint: a positron is the
    anti-matter version of an electron, and they will annihilate each other on contact, a
    process which will occur quickly in the dense core of the Sun]

d) Assuming the final volume can be treated as a collection of He nuclei and electrons
    with kinetic energy given by their original temperature plus the energy of fusion (all of
    which goes into heat this central volume with no effect on any upper layers), what is the
    new temperature of the gas? Assume 0.8% of the mass m of the original hydrogen nuclei
    is converted into energy E in the process according to E = mc^2 , and that all positrons have
    annihilated.[Hint: The temperature T of a gas is related to its energy per atom E through
    E = 3/2kT independent of their mass where k is Boltzmann’s constant.]

e) What is its instantaneous pressure after the conversion?

2. Relevant equations

E = 3/2kT
    E = mc^2
    the equation of hydrostatic equilibrium

3. The attempt at a solution

my work is very messy, and took 20 mins before I realised I was going in circles. I think I won't actually need to use the ideal gas law 0_o

Last edited: Jan 28, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2009 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi CaptainEvil! Welcome to PF! :wink:

Show us what you've tried, and where you're stuck, and then we'll know how to help. :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?