Exploring Light from Other Sources: An Impossible Journey

In summary, it is highly unlikely that you would be able to see light from any other source while sitting on the sun, due to the extreme brightness of the sun's own emissions and the scattering of light in its atmosphere.
jjw004
This is a thing that I would like help with.

If I was sitting on the sun (impossible I know) would I see light from any other source entering my location? If not why not?

Science news on Phys.org
jjw004 said:

If I was sitting on the sun (impossible I know) would I see light from any other source entering my location? If not why not?
I believe no, but only because your pupils would be too dialated to see the stars (like if you try to look at the stars while someone's shining a flashlight in your eyes).

Do you have reason to think otherwise, jjw004?

Hi Severian 596:

You are no doubt correct but I was not focused on Human frailities.

This was intended as an exercise in whether light intercepts other light sources.
Way over my head but something I would like opinions on.

If all else fails I may be compeled to venture some thing as you request.

Jim Wood

Severian596 said:
I believe no, but only because your pupils would be too dialated to see the stars (like if you try to look at the stars while someone's shining a flashlight in your eyes).

Do you have reason to think otherwise, jjw004?

I always thought that ones eyes dilates in the darkness and when you pass a flashlight through the eyes they shrink. (Dilates to allow more light to enter.)

quasi426 said:
I always thought that ones eyes dilates in the darkness and when you pass a flashlight through the eyes they shrink. (Dilates to allow more light to enter.)
You know, you're right! You learn something new every day. =D
Dilated: made wider or larger in all dimensions; "a dilated pupil"

Jim, light behaves like a wave, so it sounds like you're interested in wave interference behavior. Here you go!

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=wave+interference

Jim, even if you used a perfect light detector, the optical noise from the sun's emissions would swamp just about any external light source with the exception of perhaps a nearby quasar or supernova.

In short, it would take an extremely powerful light source to overcome the optical noise generated by the sun.

Claude.

jjw004 said:

Well, the sun doesn't have a surface, per se, so "sitting on the sun" is somewhat ambiguous. The disk of the sun that we see when we look up into the sky is called the photosphere. This can be crudely thought of as the deepest part of the sun from which a photon can escape without scattering away. If we can see down to the photosphere, then one might naively think that we could see out from it. This is not the case, however.

Why? Think about the pictures you've seen of, for example, Mars. With a decent telescope, you can see the surface very clearly. However, if you look from its surface, as the rover did:

http://www.enterprisemission.com/_articles/04-13-2004_Methane_on_Mars/mars-bluesky.jpg

then you won't see the Earth or any stars. The basic reason is that, although most of the light can make it through the atmosphere, the small fraction of it that doesn't is enough to fill the sky with a haze of scattered light. The same would be true on the photosphere of the sun. In principle, a very precise instrument might be able to separate the stars from the scattered background light, but our eyes wouldn't even come close. That's why Severian596 was emphasizing the limitations of the human eye.

1. How is "Exploring Light from Other Sources" different from traditional light exploration?

"Exploring Light from Other Sources" is a unique and exciting way to study light that goes beyond traditional methods. Instead of relying on visible light, this journey will use advanced technology to detect and analyze different types of light, such as infrared and ultraviolet, from sources that are millions of light-years away.

2. What are the potential benefits of exploring light from other sources?

The potential benefits of exploring light from other sources are vast. By studying light from distant sources, we can gain a better understanding of the origins and evolution of the universe, as well as the behavior of matter and energy in extreme environments. This knowledge can also lead to advancements in technology and the development of new materials.

3. How does the technology used in this journey work?

The technology used in this journey includes advanced telescopes and detectors that are designed to capture and analyze various types of light. These instruments are equipped with filters, mirrors, and sensors that allow scientists to isolate and study specific wavelengths of light. Data from these instruments is then processed and analyzed using sophisticated software and algorithms.

4. What challenges do scientists face when exploring light from other sources?

Exploring light from other sources comes with several challenges. One of the main challenges is the vast distance between the sources and Earth, which can make it difficult to capture and analyze faint signals. Additionally, scientists must also account for the effects of cosmic phenomena, such as gravitational lensing, that can distort the light from distant sources.

5. How can the findings from this journey impact our understanding of the universe?

The findings from this journey can greatly impact our understanding of the universe by providing new insights into the nature of matter, energy, and the origins of the universe. The data collected can also help validate or challenge existing theories and provide evidence for new ones. Ultimately, this journey can bring us closer to unraveling the mysteries of the universe and our place within it.