Calculating Sun Temperature from Tank Heat Absorption

In summary, the conversation discusses using Stefan-Boltzmann's Law to calculate the temperature of the sun based on the energy absorbed by a water tank in a certain amount of time. The context of the problem and the usage of physical constants such as specific heat of water is also mentioned. The conversation ends with a request for an answer to the problem the following day.
Bassalisk
Lets take this specific example:

Sun is radiating heat and a water tank with a certain surface area S absorbs this heat.

Sun rays are perpendicular to this tank.

[PLAIN]http://pokit.etf.ba/get/778c2978a453178481d142a891ae07c5.jpg

If I know much energy did my tank of water absorbed in certain amount of time(Power), through Stefan-Boltzmann's Law, could I calculate the temperature of the sun?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Science news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:
Yea I see what he did there. But I have to solve this problem. Is my assumption right?

Full problem is here:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=497347

but since nobody was answering it for a day, I figured why not try to break it into small parts and then try to solve it...

I am stuck and I need an answer fast.

I did not respond to the other strand because the answer is not evident to me, but perhaps I can spark some insight.

Do you see in the original problem that you can calculate the number of calories that went into the water? And, with the time and area, the flux?

Based on what you've said, I think you do.

Can you assume in the problem that you know the distance to the sun? Do you see any way to use that and the inverse square law of light intensity to find the flux at the suns surface?

Last edited:
Fewmet said:
I did not respond to the other strand because the answer is not evident to me, but perhaps I can spark some insight.

Do you see in the original problem that you can calculate the number of calories that went into the water? And, with the time and area, the flux?

How can I calculate those calories when the c, constant of thermal conduction is not given...

I see it was not given, but I don't know the context of the problem. Do you think you are permitted to use a physical constant like the specific heat of water? Was it introduce in the course previously, perhaps in the definition of the calorie?

Fewmet said:
I see it was not given, but I don't know the context of the problem. Do you think you are permitted to use a physical constant like the specific heat of water? Was it introduce in the course previously, perhaps in the definition of the calorie?

They are always giving us everything we need to solve a problem. I am not overruling that they forgot, but usually we don't use that table.

I will let you know, tomorrow I will find out an answer.

Bassalisk said:
They are always giving us everything we need to solve a problem. I am not overruling that they forgot, but usually we don't use that table.

I will let you know, tomorrow I will find out an answer.

I'd appreciate that. Looking back at the problem, I don't you can possibly do anything without know that one calorie raises the temperature of one gram of water by 1ºC.

1. How is the sun's temperature calculated from tank heat absorption?

The sun's temperature can be calculated by using the Stefan-Boltzmann Law, which states that the total energy radiated by a black body is proportional to the fourth power of its absolute temperature. This means that by measuring the amount of heat absorbed by a tank exposed to the sun's radiation, we can calculate the temperature of the sun.

2. What factors affect the accuracy of this calculation?

Several factors can affect the accuracy of calculating the sun's temperature from tank heat absorption. These include the material and thickness of the tank walls, the angle of the tank in relation to the sun's rays, and any surrounding objects that may block or reflect the sun's radiation.

3. How do scientists measure the heat absorbed by a tank from the sun's radiation?

Scientists use specialized instruments such as pyranometers to measure the amount of solar radiation absorbed by a tank. These instruments can measure the intensity of solar radiation in watts per square meter and are often placed directly on the surface of the tank for more accurate readings.

4. Can this method be used to calculate the temperature of other stars?

Yes, this method can be used to calculate the temperature of other stars. However, it is important to note that the Stefan-Boltzmann Law assumes the star is a perfect black body, which may not be the case for all stars. Therefore, the calculated temperature may not be entirely accurate.

5. What other methods are used to calculate the sun's temperature?

In addition to using heat absorption from tanks, scientists also use spectroscopy and modeling to calculate the sun's temperature. Spectroscopy involves analyzing the wavelengths of light emitted by the sun to determine its temperature. Modeling, on the other hand, involves using complex mathematical equations to simulate and predict the behavior of the sun's surface and atmosphere, which can also provide an estimate of its temperature.