See Sunset from Space: Orange Clouds?

In summary, the colors you see at sunset are caused by the light traveling a longer distance in the lower atmosphere, particles in the air can also affect the colors.
ncr7
I was wondering if anyone knew if you look at the Earth and see a sunset from space would you see the orange clouds from space? I think it would be cool to get a picture of the orange clouds from space... or something to that affect.

I don't even know why I just thought of that lol. I am working on my chem and it is just a random thought I had.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
No, the orange and other colors you see at sunset are caused by the light traveling a longer distance in the lower atmosphere, particles in the air can also affect the colors. So, no, you wouldn't be able to observe the colors from space.

so it is more of an optical effect then... I guess that makes sense. I didn't think that it was but I thought it would be cool if it did.

ncr7 said:
so it is more of an optical effect then... I guess that makes sense. I didn't think that it was but I thought it would be cool if it did.
Well, I could be completely wrong. You might want to wait until someone else responds. :biggrin: But, I'm pretty sure the effect can't be observed from space. I've seen some very cool phenomena like sun pillars and ice halos. Here's a website with some cool photos and descriptions. Unfortunately I have never seen a photo of a sun pillar to rival one I saw a couple of years ago. The picture on this site is nothing compared to it. It was a vibrant hot pink pillar twice as wide as that thin washed out thing they show, but I couldn't find a camera with batteries.

http://www.sundog.clara.co.uk/halo/pillar.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
In this NASA image you can see some orange hues on the clouds and reflected off of the ocean:
http://eol.jsc.nasa.gov/sseop/images/EO/highres/ISS007/ISS007-E-10807.JPG

-GeoMike-

Wow, see, I was wrong.

Ok, if I had googled sunsets from space, I would have found this. From the shuttle, sunsets are visible for 13 seconds, every 90 minutes.

http://neurolab.jsc.nasa.gov/wintriv.htm

So what we're looking at is the colored light reflecting off of land?

GeoMike said:
In this NASA image you can see some orange hues on the clouds and reflected off of the ocean:
http://eol.jsc.nasa.gov/sseop/images/EO/highres/ISS007/ISS007-E-10807.JPG

-GeoMike-

That photo is spectacular.

Awesome picture... Yeah I guess there is some... I think it is actually reflecting off the Earth probably ocean. I went to google and he told me all about it lol. I found that sun sets and sun rises are actually caused by the particles in the air such as dust, clouds and such. But it shows the different colors because it is on the horizon giving it more atmospheres to travel through. It told about this experiment on the site I found. What they did was used a flash light and a glass of water. When you shine the light through the glass with just water you get all the colors of the spectrum, but after that they poured milk in with the water and only the Red and Orange colors came through. I guess it has something to do with it's wave lengths and intensity.

Thanks for the picture :u) I am going to set that one as my desktop wallpaper.It’s to bad it doesn’t have the brightness of the red sunsets blasting into space, how cool would that be :u) I think that would be awesome.

Is that picture real? How long are those shadows?

hmm... I am not sure now if they can see the effects from space or not. I guess I would have to see when I get up there someday :u) or ask an astronaut whenever I get the chance.

the way it explained it before was making it sound more like a filter, so I was thinking you would have to be on the other side to see it. Now I am thinking since clouds are made out of water particles it could reflect off of them and into space.

This picture was taken on orbit by the STS-111 crew

http://imagingservices.msfc.nasa.gov/Wallpaper/800x600/sts111-321-024.jpg

So I'd say the colors are pretty spectacular :tongue2:

1. How is it possible to see a sunset from space?

The International Space Station (ISS) is located 250 miles above Earth's surface and travels at a speed of approximately 17,500 miles per hour. This allows astronauts on board to witness several sunsets and sunrises in a single day.

2. Why are the clouds orange during a sunset from space?

When the sun is low on the horizon, its light has to travel through more of Earth's atmosphere before reaching the ISS. This causes the shorter, blue wavelengths to scatter, leaving behind the longer, orange and red wavelengths that give the clouds their warm hue.

3. Can the colors of the sunset be seen from space?

Yes, the colors of the sunset can be seen from space. The ISS is equipped with cameras that are sensitive to the same colors that our eyes can see. However, the colors may appear different due to the different atmospheric conditions in space.

4. How does seeing a sunset from space differ from seeing it on Earth?

One major difference is the lack of air pollution in space. This allows for a clearer and more vibrant view of the sunset. Additionally, the curvature of Earth's surface from space provides a unique and breathtaking perspective on the sunset.

5. What can we learn from seeing a sunset from space?

Observing sunsets from space can provide valuable information about Earth's atmosphere and its changes over time. It can also help scientists better understand the effects of air pollution and climate change on the planet.