1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sun shade projection?

1. Mar 2, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two math students erect a sun shade on the beach. The shade is 1.5 m tall, 2 m wide, and makes an angle of 60° with the ground. What is the area of shade that the students have to sit in at 12 noon (that is, what is the projection of the shade onto the ground)? (Assume the sun’s rays are shining directly down).

2. Relevant equations
    I've attached the formula

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried drawing a diagram with 2m at the bottom and the height being 1.5. I know I'm supposed to use the projection formula. After that I'm lost.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 4, 2009 #2
    Just for my own clarity, does it make a 60° angle with the bit that goes in the ground or with the actual shade itself? Could you produce a diagram if this seems to be a silly question?

The Bob

4. Mar 4, 2009 #3
    With the piece that goes in the ground. The problem didn't come with a diagram because so you have to come up with your own.

5. Mar 5, 2009 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

60 degrees is an angle in an equilateral triangle. The edge of the shadow, with the sunlight coming straight down is at the perpendicular from the vertex. This is very close to being a trivial problem!

6. Feb 23, 2010 #5
    how would u solve this problem guys???

7. Jul 20, 2010 #6
    Hi hossai. Welcome to PF!

The idea of these threads is to help each other solve problems they have. So, if you'd like to venutre an attempt at the solution or method for solving this then we could discuss it further.

The Bob

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook