Sunglasses, should eyebrows be showing?

• Thread starter Monique
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolved around finding the right pair of sunglasses based on face shape and personal preferences. There was a discussion about the importance of eyebrows showing and the contradiction between experts' advice for regular glasses and sunglasses. Some preferred small round frames while others liked big, bold frames. Some shared their own experiences with finding the perfect sunglasses, while others suggested trying on different styles in person. The conversation also touched on the topic of prescription glasses and the importance of comfort. In the end, one member shared a photo of the Ray Ban model they purchased and others were asked to share photos as well.

Should eyebrows show when wearing sunglasses?

• Yes

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • No

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • Doesn't matter

Votes: 5 45.5%

• Total voters
Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I need new sunglasses, the one I like is lost in some drawer and it is very old anyway. So I am considering something like this:

http://www.celebritysunglassblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/ema-watson-ray-ban-wayfarer-300x295.jpg
I think Emma Watson's face shape is similar to mine.

But how important are the eyebrows showing, there is a contradiction here. According to experts at Ophra, it is important that glasses are positioned below the eyebrows, but then for sunglasses they go against their advice! Compare the "THE "BEFORE PAIR"" with "THE RIGHT SUNGLASSES", that can't be right?
http://www.oprah.com/omagazine/How-to-Find-the-Right-Pair-of-Glasses-for-Your-Face-Shape/5

Surely I'll stay away from glasses like this
http://dresslikeemma.org/guides/acting/characters/onset/images/0409blingring/0409set-db-sunglasses.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
For sunglasses I'd say no brow for girls. I think Emma's sunglasses are nice and agree the second one is too big.

Brown Blues Brothers' sunglasses? I guess I'm in style again!? Seems to happen to me every 10 years or so.

Probably not the style advice you want, but if the rims are thick and the top is below or at the eyebrow, then the rim will obstruct your view.

The last time I heard advice was that the glasses should be on the same level as the eyebrows, the reason being you would appear to have two sets of eyebrows otherwise. Too big and you look like a bug eyed insect.

I like the first set of sunglasses.

Monique said:
... how important are the eyebrows showing, there is a contradiction here. According to experts at Ophra, it is important that glasses are positioned below the eyebrows, ...
Could be for these sunglasses:

castar%20glasses.JPG

image compliments of http://www.engineering.com/.

There's no rule. It depends on the specific face and specific sunglasses.

Emma looks OK in any sunglasses if you ask me.

Everybody has their own preference. Wear them how you like 'em. I prefer those heavy elliptical shapes (narrow) - mission impossible 2 style.

I've never been a fan of the big round ones. Even when what's-her-name made them popular, I thought, Oh she must have found those at the bottom of her grandma's purse!

Ah...Hilton. Paris Hilton.

But I agree with Evo about the double-line effect. So I say, the frame should be at or above the brow, not below it.

http://www.otticanet.com/img/imgocchiali/154/img_art_TH_1000_S_807_JJ.jpg

This is the one I have. Even though I had others but this is just the one. It's been with me for 3 years now. I tried to find a similar or a better substitute since it's almost broken/scratched/etc, but nothing worked... I'll order another one online. :biggrin:

Thanks! Different opinions than I expected, so I guess I changed my opinion to that they should be overlapping with / covering the brow.

I went to the shop and bought the following Ray Ban model:
http://www.sofiescloset.dk/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/P1280892-copy-1024x768.jpg

It's a feminine model, I opted out of the Blues Brothers model: I noticed when strolling through the city that all the hipsters are wearing them (including you Russ :wink:). It has a rubberized front in tortoise pattern, I love it. Ready for summer! :biggrin:

I love those Monique!

I just got a pair of cheap prescription glasses. They're made for small faces and are so comfortable and they're polarized.

attachment.php?attachmentid=67591&d=1394736740.jpg

Attachments

• sunglasses.jpg
    sunglasses.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 4,091
Evo said:
I love those Monique!

I just got a pair of cheap prescription glasses. They're made for small faces and are so comfortable and they're polarized.

attachment.php?attachmentid=67591&d=1394736740.jpg
Nice Evo, what's the brand?
Edit: nvm.

Cheap Italian sunglasses. I paid $400 for my last frames and Evo Child stepped on them and broke them 2nd week I had them.

Borek said:
Emma looks OK in any sunglasses if you ask me.

You're too old! Leave her for us, younger people!

Strange said:
You're too old! Leave her for us, younger people!

You know I can ban you in no time?

Instead of considering how the glasses look on others, why not go into some shops and try out some different styles? Then you can not only see how they look, but also know how each style feels. It might be the "look" you want is very uncomfortable on your face.

Evo said:
I love those Monique!
Thanks!

Dembadon said:
Instead of considering how the glasses look on others, why not go into some shops and try out some different styles? Then you can not only see how they look, but also know how each style feels. It might be the "look" you want is very uncomfortable on your face.
That's what I did with my previous frames, now when I see them the only thought that comes to mind is "what was I thinking". I asked the opinion of the store clerk and after fitting several pairs he came with the model that I finally bought :smile:

Monique said:
Thanks!

That's what I did with my previous frames, now when I see them the only thought that comes to mind is "what was I thinking". I asked the opinion of the store clerk and after fitting several pairs he came with the model that I finally bought :smile:

You probably could have brought that home without paying, if you know what I mean..

Monique said:
Thanks!

:redface: I didn't catch that you'd already purchased a pair by the time I'd made my post.

I'm glad you went and found a pair you like! They look great.

The clerk also chose my frames for me. I was trying some on and she said "here, try these", and the heavenly choir sang, and the heavens parted, and I said "they feel great!" and they look so good on me! And she nodded knowingly and asked how I wanted to pay.

Monique said:
I went to the shop and bought the following Ray Ban model:
Evo said:
The clerk also chose my frames for me. I was trying some on and she said "here, try these", and the heavenly choir sang, and the heavens parted, and I said "they feel great!" and they look so good on me! And she nodded knowingly and asked how I wanted to pay.

Pictures or it didn't happen; both of you. :devil:

Dembadon said:
Pictures or it didn't happen; both of you. :devil:
LOL, maybe.

How much of my new currency "chacha change" do you wish to purchase? chacha change is for the small investor.

Evo said:
LOL, maybe.

How much of my new currency "chacha change" do you wish to purchase? chacha change is for the small investor.

A few things:

What will you accept as currency in exchange?
What's the exchange rate?
What else can I purchase with chacha change?

1. What is the purpose of sunglasses?

Sunglasses are designed to protect the eyes from harmful UV rays and bright sunlight. They also help to reduce glare and improve visibility in bright conditions.

2. Should eyebrows be showing when wearing sunglasses?

It is a matter of personal preference whether or not eyebrows should be showing while wearing sunglasses. Some people prefer to have their eyebrows covered by the frame of the sunglasses, while others like to have them visible. Ultimately, it does not affect the function of the sunglasses.

3. Can sunglasses damage eyebrows?

No, sunglasses should not damage eyebrows. However, if the sunglasses are too tight or the frame is too small, they could potentially cause discomfort or redness around the eyebrows. It is important to choose sunglasses that fit comfortably and do not put pressure on the eyebrows.

4. Do sunglasses with thick frames cover eyebrows better?

Thicker frames do not necessarily cover eyebrows better. The coverage of eyebrows depends on the size and shape of the sunglasses, as well as the individual's face shape and eyebrow placement. It is best to try on different styles of sunglasses to see which provides the desired coverage.

5. Are there any benefits to having eyebrows showing while wearing sunglasses?

Having eyebrows showing while wearing sunglasses can help to prevent the frames from fogging up, as well as provide a more natural look. Eyebrows can also help to hold the sunglasses in place on the face. However, these benefits may vary depending on the individual's face shape and the type of sunglasses being worn.