Sunglasses which reflects like a mirror

• Thread starter Pandemonium
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mirror
In summary, the conversation discusses the phenomenon of mirrored sunglasses and the physical explanation behind it. The expert explains that the reflective coating on one side of the sunglasses creates two reflecting surfaces, allowing light to bounce off both the coating and the original surface. The thickness of the coating is crucial in determining the desired effect, as it must be thin enough to allow some light transmission but thick enough to prevent the conduction of electric fields. The required thickness, also known as skin depth, is a few nanometers for light frequencies in the visible range. The conversation also includes a link to a specific model of mirrored sunglasses for reference.
Pandemonium
I hope this is the correct place to put this...

There are certain types of sunglasses which reflects like a mirror on one side, and normal shades on the other. I understand that this is due to a coating of some mercury salt on the lens, but what is the exact physical explanation of this phenomenon?

Last edited by a moderator:
Science news on Phys.org
When you put a translucent coating on a surface, you have set two reflecting surfaces together: light can bounce from the original surface and also from the surface of the coating.

Think of what happens at the surface of the coating: light bouncing from it is now accompanied by light coming back after bouncing off the glass.

Now you need to remember that light behaves like a wave, and notice that, if these two outgoing beams (the one reflected here, and the one coming back from reflection on the original, deeper, surface) are in phase (valleys with valleys), then they add up. On the other hand, if they are in opposite phases (highs on lows), they will cancel, hence producing no reflected beam.

So, all you have to do is get the coating to be just right (in terms of refraction index and thickness) to produce the desired effect.

The explanation is simple. A reflective coating is applied to one side, but the coating is so thin that some light is still transmitted. I've done this myself when I was a grad student: i evaporated gold onto the outer surface of my prescription glasses.

How thin must the coating be? Remember that metals conduct electricity. Light waves consist of oscillating electric and magnetic fields. The metal effectively shorts out the electric field, but if the frequency is high enough, the electrons cannot move fast enough. This is expressed in a quantity known as skin depth - the depth of penetration of the light waves into a conducter. Skin depth, and hence the required thickness of metallic coating for sunglasses, is a few nanometres for light frequencies in the visible range.

ahrkron said:
When you put a translucent coating on a surface, you have set two reflecting surfaces together: light can bounce from the original surface and also from the surface of the coating.

Think of what happens at the surface of the coating: light bouncing from it is now accompanied by light coming back after bouncing off the glass.

Now you need to remember that light behaves like a wave, and notice that, if these two outgoing beams (the one reflected here, and the one coming back from reflection on the original, deeper, surface) are in phase (valleys with valleys), then they add up. On the other hand, if they are in opposite phases (highs on lows), they will cancel, hence producing no reflected beam.

So, all you have to do is get the coating to be just right (in terms of refraction index and thickness) to produce the desired effect.

krab said:
The explanation is simple. A reflective coating is applied to one side, but the coating is so thin that some light is still transmitted. I've done this myself when I was a grad student: i evaporated gold onto the outer surface of my prescription glasses.

How thin must the coating be? Remember that metals conduct electricity. Light waves consist of oscillating electric and magnetic fields. The metal effectively shorts out the electric field, but if the frequency is high enough, the electrons cannot move fast enough. This is expressed in a quantity known as skin depth - the depth of penetration of the light waves into a conducter. Skin depth, and hence the required thickness of metallic coating for sunglasses, is a few nanometres for light frequencies in the visible range.

Hi...
Great explanations by you.
Can you tell how much thickness is to be considered for the coating, so that the coating doesn't conduct the electric field..
Thank you...

http://sheinman.com/sunglasses/58_Oakley_FIVES.asp

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What makes sunglasses reflect like a mirror?

Sunglasses that reflect like a mirror are made with a special coating on the lenses. This coating is typically made of metal oxides, such as titanium oxide or silicon oxide, which reflect light and create a mirrored effect.

2. Are mirrored sunglasses more effective at blocking UV rays?

Yes, mirrored sunglasses are typically more effective at blocking UV rays compared to regular sunglasses. The mirrored coating helps to reflect and absorb UV rays, providing better protection for your eyes.

3. Can mirrored sunglasses be worn at night or indoors?

No, mirrored sunglasses are not recommended for use at night or indoors. The mirrored coating can reduce visibility in low light conditions and may cause discomfort or glare when worn indoors.

4. Are there different levels of mirror reflectivity for sunglasses?

Yes, there are different levels of mirror reflectivity for sunglasses. Some may have a subtle mirrored effect, while others may have a highly reflective, almost opaque coating. The level of reflectivity can also affect the amount of light that is transmitted through the lenses.

5. Do mirrored sunglasses have any other benefits besides their appearance?

Yes, mirrored sunglasses have several benefits besides their stylish appearance. They can help reduce glare and provide better contrast and clarity in bright sunlight, making them ideal for outdoor activities like skiing, fishing, and driving. They can also help to protect the eyes from dust, wind, and other particles.