Sunjamming: Solving Webassign Question on Mass, Force & Acceleration

• Thread starter cgarr017
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is discussing a webassign question about a spacecraft powered by sunlight. The question asks for the resulting acceleration, the distance it travels in one day, and its speed. The participants are unsure about the correct answer due to possible errors in significant figures and units, but ultimately come to a conclusion.
cgarr017
just wanted to double check with you on a webassign question. i feel like I'm doing it right but webassign doesn't like my answer... question 2 says A "sun yacht" is a spacecraft with a large sail that is pushed by sunlight. Although such a push is tiny in everyday circumstances, it can be large enough to send the spacecraft outward from the Sun on a cost-free but slow trip. Suppose that the spacecraft has a mass of 1100 kg and receives a push of 17 N.

(a) What is the magnitude of the resulting acceleration?

17/1100= 0.015 or 1.5e-2 but webassign says its wrong

(b) If the craft starts from rest, how far will it travel in 1 day?

change in x=vo(change in t)+1/2a(change in t)^2

=1/2(0.015)(24)(3600)^2

=5.6e7

(c) How fast will it then be moving?

but then again if the acceleration magnitude is wrong then part b equation wouldn't work. I'm also unsure how to do part c. let me know your thoughts. thanks

Physics news on Phys.org

That looks fine. The only problems could be significant figures, or, did you put the correct units on the numbers? For c) you know the constant acceleration and you know the time. v=a*t??

ok thanks c did work but a and b is really frustrating me. the two given numbers in the problem were 1100kg and 17 N. so the sig figs should be 2 right? and the units is m/s^2
...(a) What is the magnitude of the resulting acceleration?
1.5e-2 m/s2 X wrong
(b) If the craft starts from rest, how far will it travel in 1 day?
5.6e7 m X wrong
(c) How fast will it then be moving?
1335 m/s correct
?

Well, I'm convinced you're right, and you're convinced you're right. You might want to try keeping extra decimal places in the acceleration. For example, I get 5.768E7m for the distance. You should probably only apply the rounding at the end. Not to intermediate numbers.

cool thanks anyway for your help

What is Sunjamming?

Sunjamming is a term used to describe the process of solving webassign questions on mass, force, and acceleration. It involves applying scientific principles and mathematical equations to determine the correct answers.

What topics are covered in Sunjamming?

Sunjamming typically covers topics related to Newton's laws of motion, such as calculating mass, force, and acceleration, as well as understanding the relationship between these variables.

How is Sunjamming useful?

Sunjamming allows students to practice and develop their skills in solving physics problems, which can be beneficial for understanding and applying scientific concepts in real-world situations. It also helps students prepare for exams and assessments.

What are some tips for successfully Sunjamming?

Some tips for successfully Sunjamming include carefully reading and understanding the problem, identifying the relevant equations and variables, and checking the units and significant figures in the final answer.

Can Sunjamming be used for other types of physics problems?

Yes, the principles and techniques used in Sunjamming can be applied to solve other types of physics problems, such as those involving motion, energy, and waves. It is a valuable skill for any scientist or engineer.