How to Measure Sunlight in Watts for a Room

In summary, to measure the amount of sunlight entering a room, one can approximate using a solar cell with a known efficiency curve attached to the window, and measuring the voltage across a load throughout the day. This method can be done for a low cost using a $5 meter from Radio Shack. The final answer would be in watt-hours for the total energy over a period of time.
TSN79
I need to measure the amount of sunlight that enters a room over a given period. I assume I'll need to get my hands on some device which can measure this, but in the meantime, is there a way to approximate how much light/energy enters the room at a given time? The best would be to get a Watt approximation...

Engineering news on Phys.org
The power at noon on the equator is about 1 kW per square meter. However, sunlight is incredibly variable, owing to time of day, time of year, angle of the window, direction the window faces, latitude, cloud cover, trees or other obstructions, you name it.

- Warren

Yeah, that's exactly what's making it hard...

Buy a solar cell having a known efficiency curve [data usually found online] and attach it to the glass in the window, facing outward. Apply a constant load the the solar cell - a resistor. Meausure the voltage across the load throughout the day and write down the data. Calculate the total power produced for any point in time, compensate for the efficiency, and scale up for the size of the window. You can do this for a few bucks though you may need to buy a $5 meter at Radio Shack. Also, if you want the total energy over a period of time then the final answer for would be in watt-hrs, not watts.

Last edited:

1. How do you measure sunlight in watts for a room?

To measure sunlight in watts for a room, you will need to use a device called a solarimeter. This device measures the amount of solar radiation in watts per square meter (W/m²) that is hitting a particular area. Simply place the solarimeter in the room you want to measure and it will give you an accurate reading.

2. Can I use a regular light meter to measure sunlight in watts for a room?

No, a regular light meter is not designed to measure sunlight in watts. It measures the brightness of light in lux or foot-candles, which is different from watts per square meter. It is important to use a solarimeter specifically designed for measuring sunlight in watts for accurate results.

3. What factors can affect the amount of sunlight in watts in a room?

The amount of sunlight in watts in a room can be affected by factors such as location, time of day, season, and weather conditions. For example, a room with a window facing south and receiving direct sunlight will have a higher wattage reading compared to a room with a window facing north and receiving indirect sunlight.

4. How can I use the measurement of sunlight in watts for a room?

The measurement of sunlight in watts for a room can be useful for various purposes. It can help in determining the amount of natural light available in a room for plants or solar panels, evaluating the effectiveness of window treatments, and determining the potential for solar energy usage in a particular location.

5. Is there a specific time of day to measure sunlight in watts for a room?

The best time to measure sunlight in watts for a room is during midday when the sun is at its highest point in the sky. This will give you the most accurate reading as the sun's angle and intensity can vary throughout the day. However, if you are interested in measuring the average amount of sunlight in a room over a period of time, you can take multiple measurements at different times of the day and calculate the average.