How long does it take for the sun to move its own diameter?

In summary, the sun appears to move across the sky due to the Earth's rotation, causing it to subtend an angle of 9.30 x 10-3 rad to a person standing on the Earth. To determine the time it takes for the sun to move a distance equal to its own diameter, one must convert radians to degrees and find the length of the radius first. The angular speed of the observer on Earth can help in this calculation, as the sun rotates 2π radians per day, which can be converted to radians per second. With this information, the time it takes for the sun to move its own diameter can be determined.
shaka23h
The sun appears to move across the sky, because the Earth spins on its axis. To a person standing on the earth, the sun subtends an angle of sun = 9.30 x 10-3 rad (see Conceptual Example 2). How much time (in seconds) does it take for the sun to move a distance equal to its own diameter?

I know that I probably need convert radians to degrees and find the length of the r first?

I just don't know where the heck the time factor comes in this rotational kinematics problem. There seems to not be enough information.

Physics news on Phys.org
shaka23h said:
The sun appears to move across the sky, because the Earth spins on its axis. To a person standing on the earth, the sun subtends an angle of sun = 9.30 x 10-3 rad (see Conceptual Example 2). How much time (in seconds) does it take for the sun to move a distance equal to its own diameter?

I know that I probably need convert radians to degrees and find the length of the r first?

I just don't know where the heck the time factor comes in this rotational kinematics problem. There seems to not be enough information.
What is the angular speed of the observer on the earth?

AM

Yes, problems like these can make your head hurt.

Think of it like this: Imagine a laser beam shining from the surface of the Earth into the sky. Due to the rotation of the Earth this beam will sweep over the sky. How many radians does the beam cover in one second due to the rotation of the earth?

The Sun "goes around the Earth" every 1 day, that is, it rotates [tex]2 \pi[/tex] radians per day.

Convert this to 'radians per second'. Now you have a speed (in radians/second) and a distance (in radians). You can now find the time.

Thank god someone answered this. I've been stuck on the exact same problem from the same text. The question is worded quite poorly.

1. What is the rotational period of the sun?

The sun's rotational period, or the amount of time it takes to make one complete rotation on its axis, is approximately 27 days at its equator. However, this period increases as you move towards the sun's poles, with a maximum period of around 35 days.

2. How does the sun's rotational speed vary across its surface?

The sun's rotational speed is not constant across its surface. The equator rotates at a faster speed than the poles, due to the sun's differential rotation. This means that different parts of the sun rotate at different speeds.

3. What causes the sun's rotational motion?

The sun's rotational motion is caused by the conservation of angular momentum, which is a fundamental principle in physics. As the sun formed from a giant cloud of gas and dust, this material began to collapse and spin faster due to its own gravitational forces, resulting in the sun's current rotation.

4. Does the sun's rotational motion affect its magnetic field?

Yes, the sun's rotation influences its magnetic field. The sun's magnetic field is generated by the motion of charged particles within its interior. As the sun rotates, it creates a twisting motion in these particles, which in turn affects the strength and shape of the sun's magnetic field.

5. How does the sun's rotational motion impact Earth?

The sun's rotational motion has several effects on Earth. The most notable is the creation of the Coriolis effect, which is responsible for the rotation of weather patterns and ocean currents on Earth. The sun's rotation also affects the length of our day and the position of the sun in the sky throughout the year.