Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sunset, green flash?

1. Dec 22, 2008 #1
    Last night we had the most bright and beautiful sunset I ever saw

[​IMG]

look at the color of the clouds

[​IMG]

The start of a green flash?

[​IMG]

And later in the evening:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 22, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 22, 2008 #2
    Beautiful ..

Whereabouts Andre ?

The weather looks mighty similar to here in Auckland tonight and last evening also .
    And it is ~solstice~ +- too

I know there are some cool effects that cameras can achieve now with maxing contrast settings etc to pick up spectra ..

was it clearly visible as well as on the camera image ?

Straight away i thought of Pirates of the Carribean - Worlds end .. whee they had to get lost to find what could not be found .. ahhhha
    [​IMG]

4. Dec 22, 2008 #3
    Pictures were taken from the 14th story of an appartment building in Zoetermeer The Netherlands. The city at the horizon is The Hague.

Actually the green seemed to be better visible with the naked eye. I did not process anything, standard camera default settings. Canon 450D with 70-300mm IS USM in various settings (hand held). You can judge the auto white balance to the lights in the last picture. Also you can see reflections of the window near the sun

edit, finally, this extreme visibilty here would be unthinkable some 20-30 years ago due to air pollution. It looks like we are looking at some success here for pollution control, since it's getting more and more common to have a clear vision on the horizon

5. Dec 22, 2008 #4
    is there a body of water in that direction?

6. Dec 22, 2008 #5
    Yes, the North Sea

7. Dec 22, 2008 #6
    that would be my guess, then.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?