Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sunshade for the earth?

1. Jan 17, 2007 #1
    I am wondering if it would be possible to install a sunshade in the upper atmosphere which would move along with the earth and shade parts of the earth which are being affected by drought. If a sheet, 100 ft square were unfolded 30 or so miles up would it crumple? stay there? Is this comic book thinking or could it be possible?
    Nancy

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 17, 2007 #2
    How will less sunlight remedy a lack of water? (Why not a pipeline from a desalination plant?)

4. Jan 17, 2007 #3
    I'm assuming that too much sun equals too much heat and if it cools down maybe, in time, it might rain. Or at least the earth will stop baking in the heat. As I said, this might be comic book thinking.

Nancy

5. Jan 18, 2007 #4
    The only theoretical use of sun shades as of now, are for global warming purposes. I believe sciencitist have already purpose possible putting sun shades at the poles, to help keep them from melting.

6. Jan 18, 2007 #5
    I did another search and found that Ph.D.Roger Angel, Prof. of astronomy and optical sciences at the Univ.of Arizona, Tucson is doing a study on the feasibility, cost and time it would take to set up such a shade at

http://earthfiles.com/news/news.cfm?ID=1165&category=enviornment

Pretty interesting stuff.

Nancy

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?