1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sup problem

1. Oct 15, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

sup problem
    if f is continuous on [a,b] with f(a)<0<f(b), show that there is a largest x in [a,b] with f(x)=0

2. Relevant equations

i think it can be done by least upper bounds, but i dun know wat is the exact prove.

3. The attempt at a solution

Last edited: Oct 15, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2009 #2
    Start by showing that there is one x in [a,b] such that f(x) = 0. Then form the set
    [tex]S = \{x \in [a,b] | f(x) = 0\}[/tex]
    You have already shown that S is non-empty and you know that it's bounded, so it must have a supremum. Let
    [tex]x_0 = \sup\,S[/tex]
    Since [itex]x_0[/itex] is an upper bound for S, if we can show [itex]x_0 \in S[/itex] we have shown that it's the largest element in S. So all you need to do is show [itex]x_0 \in S[/itex]. The easiest way to do this is to assume [itex]x_0 \notin S[/itex], i.e. [itex]y_0 = f(x_0) \not= 0[/itex]. Now since f is continuous at [itex]x_0[/itex] we can find some [itex]\delta > 0[/itex] such that if [itex]x \in (x_0-\delta,x_0 + \delta)[/itex] then [itex]f(x) \in (0,2y_0)[/itex] (let [itex]\epsilon = |y_0|[/itex]). Now [itex]x_0 - \delta[/itex] is an upper-bound for S, but less than [itex]x_0[/itex].

4. Oct 19, 2009 #3
    but how to prove x0 is in [a,b]?

5. Oct 19, 2009 #4
    i seem to know...
    if x0<a, obviously wrong.
    if x0>b, we can find some x such that b-[tex]\delta[/tex]<x<b satisfying that x is upper bound of the set.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook