1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

SupA<SupB, What can you say?

1. Jan 21, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If Sup A<Sup B Then show that there exists a b[tex]\in[/tex]B which serves as an upper bound for A.
    First off, I am not looking for a complete solution but rather a hint.

2. Relevant equations
    SupA-[tex]\epsilon[/tex]<a for some a[tex]\in[/tex]A
    SupB-[tex]\epsilon[/tex]<b for some b[tex]\in[/tex]B

3. The attempt at a solution
    The only thing I have succeeded in so far is "locating one element of each set"
    SupA-[tex]\epsilon[/tex]<a[tex]\leq[/tex]SupA for some a[tex]\in[/tex]A
    SupB-[tex]\epsilon[/tex]<b[tex]\leq[/tex]SupB for some b[tex]\in[/tex]B

I know that if I can demonstrate that SupA[tex]\leq[/tex]SupB-[tex]\epsilon[/tex], then I can be done. Equivalently, if I can show that b[tex]\geq[/tex]SupA for some b[tex]\in[/tex]B I will also be done. However, right now this has me caught.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 21, 2009 #2
    I think I might have a solution. Redefine Epsilon so that it is less than or equal to SupB-SupA. Then SupA[tex]\leq[/tex]SupB-[tex]\epsilon[/tex]. We can still guarantee an element of b SupB-[tex]\epsilon[/tex] and Sup B (same for a). Thus this element of b[tex]\geq[/tex]SupA and so b is an upper bound. If this incorrect, please tell me. Sorry to those of you who thought long and hard.

4. Jan 22, 2009 #3
    Firstly I assume we're talking about real numbers.

The key property we want to use: for every [tex]\varepsilon>0[/tex] there is a [tex]b\in B[/tex] such that [tex]\sup{B} - \varepsilon < b \leq \sup{B}[/tex].

Now what positive number to choose for epsilon? It's given (albeit subtly) in the question: we know that sup(B)-sup(A) > 0.

5. Jan 22, 2009 #4
    Many thanks, but I think I realized this just before you answered (in my post). Yeah, it was about the reals; what a great feeling when I recognized this. Again, Many thanks for being the first to help. Thread closed, because my homework has been turned in.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?