Can I Create a Revolutionary Super Capacitor by Rolling Powders?

In summary, the conversation discusses the development of a new form of super capacitor with high energy densities and the desire to set up a production line for it. The production process involves mixing multiple powders in a specific order, adding an electrolyte, and rolling the mixture between layers of foil and paper. The speaker is seeking suggestions and advice for setting up the production line and is willing to collaborate with others.
Physt
I've got a bastard of a problem - I created a new form of super capacitor several months back with energy densities about 360x those of the best super capacitors on the market today (about 2.5x better than the best Li-Ion batteries) - and want to set up a production line.

Rolling the capacitors involve taking about 6 powders with different densities and hydroscopic properties, mixing them together in the correct order (the wrong order or allowing the mixture to sit too long at ambient pressure [5 seconds or more] leads to disassociation of the powders as they are loosely coupled to one another [so I believe from experiments thus far] and in turn about the same energy density of existing super capacitors - definitely something to avoid) and adding the electrolyte (most of my experiments thus far involve various salts with water, though I might move to a molten salt in later experiments to assist in cutting down the heat while discharging/charging rapidly - possibly with a built in heating element for high frequency applications rather than just storage). Once the mixture is together it gets laid between layers of foil-mixture-paper-mixture-repeating/rolled and is stable at about 10PSI of pressure (ie: the mixture doesn't degrade over time) - this seems entirely attainable in a rolled form, and so far I'm thinking of a print-head style apparatus that mixes the powders on the fly, lays them and perhaps an attached mister that mists with electrolyte as it is being laid down or after, and is then rolled and held inside a metal sheath or tape like most electrolytic capacitors in order to maintain the pressure required. I'm not much of a mechanical engineer (the most complex mechanical type of machine I've made thus far is a high speed ball mill - and I'd say it's about 60%-75% epoxy). Any suggestions for getting started on this would be appreciated, and if you are in the Portland, Maine area of the US I'd be happy to get together to discuss it and perhaps work together.

Engineering news on Phys.org

Hello there,

First of all, congratulations on developing a new form of super capacitor with such high energy densities! That is truly impressive and has the potential to greatly impact the energy storage industry.

In terms of setting up a production line for your super capacitor, there are a few things you will need to consider. First, you will need to ensure that your manufacturing process is scalable and can produce a large number of capacitors efficiently. This may require some modifications to your current process, such as automating certain steps or using larger equipment.

Additionally, you will need to carefully consider the materials and equipment you will need for production. As you mentioned, mixing the powders in the correct order is crucial for achieving the desired energy density. Therefore, it will be important to have precise and reliable mixing equipment in your production line.

You also mentioned the possibility of using a molten salt electrolyte in your experiments. If you decide to incorporate this into your production process, you will need to ensure that you have the necessary equipment and safety measures in place to handle the molten salt.

In terms of the actual production process, a print-head style apparatus as you described could be a good option. However, you will also need to consider the potential challenges of working with multiple layers of foil and paper, as well as the pressure required to maintain stability. This may require some experimentation and fine-tuning of the production process.

As for suggestions for getting started, I would recommend reaching out to experts in the field of super capacitors and energy storage. They may be able to provide valuable insights and advice on setting up a production line for your specific type of super capacitor. You may also want to consider partnering with a mechanical engineer or a company that specializes in manufacturing equipment for energy storage devices.

I am not located in the Portland, Maine area, but I wish you the best of luck with your project. I am sure with the right team and resources, you will be able to successfully set up a production line for your innovative super capacitor. Keep up the great work!

1. What is a super capacitor rolling?

Super capacitor rolling is a process by which a super capacitor is created. This involves rolling a thin sheet of material into a cylindrical or rectangular shape and adding electrodes and electrolytes to create an energy storage device.

2. How does a super capacitor rolling differ from traditional capacitor manufacturing?

Super capacitor rolling differs from traditional capacitor manufacturing in that it uses different materials and a unique rolling process to create a higher energy density and faster charging and discharging capabilities.

3. What are the advantages of using super capacitor rolling over traditional capacitor manufacturing?

The advantages of using super capacitor rolling over traditional capacitor manufacturing include higher energy density, faster charging and discharging capabilities, longer lifespan, and the ability to handle more charge-discharge cycles without degrading.

4. What are some potential applications for super capacitor rolling?

Super capacitor rolling has a wide range of potential applications, including energy storage for renewable energy sources, electric vehicles, consumer electronics, and military and aerospace technologies.

5. What are the current limitations of super capacitor rolling technology?

Some current limitations of super capacitor rolling technology include lower energy density compared to batteries, higher cost of production, and the need for further research and development to improve the technology and make it more commercially viable.