Super Caps 50F: Charge, Discharge & Heat Info

• Thread starter marmstrong941
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the voltage, heat, charge, and discharge time of a capacitor. It is recommended to look at the datasheets for information on these properties. A calculation for heat dissipation is provided, as well as the importance of not exceeding the heat dissipation limit. The conversation also mentions the lifetime of the capacitor and how it can be affected by temperature. The ESR, or equivalent series resistance, is also mentioned as an important factor to consider.
marmstrong941
I know they are low voltage that's fine. I want to find out charge and discharge time as well as heat from them.

Engineering news on Phys.org
marmstrong941 said:
I know they are low voltage that's fine. I want to find out charge and discharge time as well as heat from them.
Have you looked at their datasheets?

Likes donpacino
A good back of the envelope calculation for heat will be the ESR * your expected current draw squared

P=R*I^2

But that will only tell you power loss, not heat dissipation capabilities of the unit itself. If your power loss is greater than your heat dissipation limit, goodbye capacitor.

For charge and discharge time that will be dependent on your load and other properties (look up RC time constant), or are you talking about maximum. the mins and maxes can be found on the datasheet.

Likes marmstrong941
Some...
http://cdn-reichelt.de/documents/datenblatt/B300/VEC3R0506QG.pdf
..say you can discharge at 38A for a second.

The internal resistance is around 10mOhm so there will be an IR voltage drop of perhaps 380mV at that current. The I2R power dissipation would be large 382* 0.01 = 14W.

I don't think they would last very long if abused like that. They give a life of 500,000 cycles (at 25C). If cycled every 2 seconds that would be about 12 days. Over the lifetime the ESR and hence power dissipation could also double. The general rule for some capacitors is that the lifetime halves for every 10C increase in temperature.

Likes marmstrong941
I don't have r yet?
12 days would be great

marmstrong941 said:
I don't have r yet?
12 days would be great
Look on the spec sheet for the capacitors. you're looking for the ESR

Likes CWatters

1. What is the capacity of Super Caps 50F?

Super Caps 50F has a capacity of 50 Farads, which is a measure of the amount of electrical charge it can store.

2. How long does it take to charge Super Caps 50F?

The charging time for Super Caps 50F depends on the power source and the charging current. However, on average, it can take anywhere from a few seconds to a few minutes to fully charge.

3. How do I discharge Super Caps 50F?

To discharge Super Caps 50F, you can either allow it to naturally discharge over time or use a resistor to dissipate the stored energy. It is important to discharge it properly to avoid damaging the capacitor or any connected devices.

4. Can Super Caps 50F handle high temperatures?

Yes, Super Caps 50F is designed to withstand high temperatures and has a high heat tolerance. However, exposing it to extreme temperatures for extended periods of time can affect its performance and lifespan.

5. What is the maximum safe operating voltage for Super Caps 50F?

The maximum safe operating voltage for Super Caps 50F is 2.7 volts. Exceeding this voltage can cause damage to the capacitor and connected devices.