1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

"super convergence" proof

1. Oct 20, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Suppose (## a_n ##) is a sequence and let [itex]l\in\mathbb R[/itex]. Let us say that (## a_n ##) is "super convergent" to ##l## if there exists [itex]N\in\mathbb N[/itex] such that for every ε>0 we have ##n \geq N## ⇒ |(## a_n - l##|<ε . Show that if (## a_n ##) super converges to l then (## a_n ##) converges to ##l## in the usual sense. What about the converse?

2. Relevant equations
    The usual definition of convergence as given in my textbook is:

Let (## a_n ##) be a sequence and let [itex]l\in\mathbb R[/itex]. Then (## a_n ##) converges to ##l## if for every ε>0 there exists [itex]N(ε)\in\mathbb N[/itex] such that ##n \geq N(ε)## ⇒ |(## a_n - l##|<ε

3. The attempt at a solution

The only difference I see between the super convergent definition and usual definition is that for super convergence N does not depend on ε as it does in the usual definition. Therefore no matter how small an ε is chosen, any ##n \geq N## will imply (## a_n - l##|<ε . So even if ##N## is dependant on ε as it is in the usual definition, any N will work so the dependence does not matter. Therefore super convergence implies convergence.

The second part about the converse is what I am confused about. I'm pretty sure that for converse I'm supposed to show that if (## a_n ##) converges in the usual sense, that it also must "super converge" which is obviously not true because if N is dependent on ε for regular convergence, a random N cannot be selected to have the super convergence statement hold. I'm pretty sure I'm on the right track with this question I just don't know how i would go about showing this last part.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2014 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, the converse is obviously not true. If you think about what 'super convergence' means, it means the sequence must be constant for n>N. There are sequences that converge that are not eventually constant. Use that for a counterexample. That proves the converse is not true.

4. Oct 21, 2014 #3
    Makes sense thanks.

5. Oct 21, 2014 #4

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You should note and try to prove the following:

If ##\forall \ \epsilon > 0, \ \ |x| < \epsilon## then ##x = 0##

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted