Calculating Rock Throwing Rate to Maintain Constant Speed Against Friction

• Thread starter MJC8719
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a physics problem involving a child sitting in a wagon with rocks and maintaining a constant average speed against a force of friction. The solution involves using the formula for thrust and solving for the time it takes to throw one rock, which is then converted to the number of rocks that can be thrown per minute. The final answer is 28 rocks per minute.
MJC8719
A child sits in a wagon with a pile of 0.59 kg rocks. If she can throw each rock with a speed of 10 m/s relative to the ground, how many rocks must she throw per minute to maintain a constant average speed against a 2.8 N force of friction?

I know this question is probably increadibly easy...its listed as an easy problem in the book...but it is not clicking.

I believe I have to use the thrust = (delta m/delta t) x v but I think I am setting it up wrong.

I had 2.8 as the thrust as this is the amount of force needed to keep an average speed so

2.8 = (0.59/x) x 10
which leads to 5.9/2.8
which equals 2.1 seconds in time...

If this first part is correct, then i am having trouble converting this time into amount of rocks.

I suspect I set the first part up wrong though

Physics news on Phys.org
MJC8719 said:
A child sits in a wagon with a pile of 0.59 kg rocks. If she can throw each rock with a speed of 10 m/s relative to the ground, how many rocks must she throw per minute to maintain a constant average speed against a 2.8 N force of friction?

I know this question is probably increadibly easy...its listed as an easy problem in the book...but it is not clicking.

I believe I have to use the thrust = (delta m/delta t) x v but I think I am setting it up wrong.

I had 2.8 as the thrust as this is the amount of force needed to keep an average speed so

2.8 = (0.59/x) x 10
which leads to 5.9/2.8
which equals 2.1 seconds in time...

If this first part is correct, then i am having trouble converting this time into amount of rocks.

I suspect I set the first part up wrong though
I seldom find any physics problem incredibly easy. You just made it look easy. One rock every 2.1 seconds is how many rocks in 60 seconds (no fractions, please.)?

Wow...I can do all the hard work...its the little things that get me lol

Thanks for pointing out that obvious thing...

Giving a final answer of 28

Thanks again sir

1. What is "Super Easy Question Im Sure"?

"Super Easy Question Im Sure" is a phrase that is often used sarcastically to imply that a question is actually quite difficult or complex, despite its seemingly simple appearance.

2. Why do people use the phrase "Super Easy Question Im Sure"?

People often use this phrase to poke fun at the fact that a question may not be as easy to answer as it initially seems, or to express their frustration with a difficult question.

3. Is there a specific type of question that is considered a "Super Easy Question Im Sure"?

No, the phrase is used in a variety of contexts and can refer to any question that is perceived as being deceptively simple.

4. How should I respond if someone asks me a "Super Easy Question Im Sure"?

It depends on the context and your relationship with the person. You could play along with the sarcasm and give a humorous response, or you could simply answer the question seriously if it is something you know the answer to.

5. Is using the phrase "Super Easy Question Im Sure" considered rude or disrespectful?

It can be seen as rude or disrespectful if used in certain contexts or with certain tones. It is important to consider the tone and intention behind the use of the phrase before using it in a conversation.