1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Super Easy Question Im Sure

1. May 30, 2007 #1
    A child sits in a wagon with a pile of 0.59 kg rocks. If she can throw each rock with a speed of 10 m/s relative to the ground, how many rocks must she throw per minute to maintain a constant average speed against a 2.8 N force of friction?

I know this question is probably increadibly easy...its listed as an easy problem in the book...but it is not clicking.

I believe I have to use the thrust = (delta m/delta t) x v but I think I am setting it up wrong.

I had 2.8 as the thrust as this is the amount of force needed to keep an average speed so

2.8 = (0.59/x) x 10
    which leads to 5.9/2.8
    which equals 2.1 seconds in time....

If this first part is correct, then i am having trouble converting this time into amount of rocks.

I suspect I set the first part up wrong though
  2. jcsd
  3. May 30, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I seldom find any physics problem incredibly easy. You just made it look easy. One rock every 2.1 seconds is how many rocks in 60 seconds (no fractions, please.)?
  4. May 30, 2007 #3
    Wow...I can do all the hard work...its the little things that get me lol

Thanks for pointing out that obvious thing...

Giving a final answer of 28

Thanks again sir
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?