Super Gravity Theory & Metric: Explained Simply

In summary, the conversation covers topics related to a book by Hawking and Penrose titled "The Nature of Space and Time." The book discusses concepts such as singularities, relativity, and quantum mechanics. One of the theories mentioned in the book is the Super Gravity Theory, also known as SUGRA, which combines multiple fields into one and has a property called supersymmetry. The theory also includes a graviton and has various forms, with the 11-dimensional form being considered the most beautiful and unique. It is also seen as a potential low energy limit of the still unknown M theory. The conversation also briefly mentions the metric, which is a concept related to relativity and quantum mechanics, but its definition is not provided.
Royce
I'm reading a book by Hawking and Penrose. I'm afraid it is a bit beyound me; but, I am getting the jist or is it jest of their thoughts, I think. In the book Hawking memtioned the Super Gravity Theory. I've run across it before but don't know what it is. Can someone briefly and basically explain it to me? One of the other of the many things I'm not sure about that is mentioned both in the book and here in this forum in other threads in "The Metric."
Can someone define the metric again briefly and basically to me?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
does it combine relativity with quantum mechanics?

Don't know. The book is "The Nature of Space and Time." It's is a dialog of lectures about singularities and certainly involves relativity and Quantum Machanics.

In nut shell SUGRA is a kind of gauge field theory with many different fields combined as a one field, called super-multiplet. "super" is from the fact that the theory has a property called supersymmetry - it is a symmetry between fermion and bosons. "Gravity" part is from the fact that the theory has graviton in it. There are many different kinds of possible SUGRA. Arguably the most beautiful one is 11 dimensional SUGRA for its mathematical beauty and uniqueness. Also, recently it is considered as a low energy limit of not-yet -known M theory.

Instanton

1. What is Super Gravity Theory?

Super Gravity Theory is a theoretical framework that combines general relativity (which explains the behavior of gravity on a large scale) with quantum mechanics (which explains the behavior of particles on a small scale) to create a unified theory of gravity.

2. What is the Metric in Super Gravity Theory?

The metric in Super Gravity Theory refers to the mathematical framework used to describe the structure of space and time. It is a set of equations that determine the relationship between space and time, and how they are affected by the presence of matter and energy.

3. How is Super Gravity Theory different from other theories of gravity?

Super Gravity Theory is unique in that it attempts to reconcile the two major theories of physics, general relativity and quantum mechanics, into a single framework. It also predicts the existence of additional dimensions and particles, which may help to explain some of the unanswered questions in physics.

4. Is there any evidence to support Super Gravity Theory?

While there is currently no direct evidence for Super Gravity Theory, it is a promising area of research and has been shown to be mathematically consistent. Further experimental and observational data may help to validate or refine this theory.

5. How does Super Gravity Theory relate to the search for a "Theory of Everything"?

The goal of Super Gravity Theory is to provide a unified understanding of gravity and the other fundamental forces of nature. As such, it is considered a candidate for a "Theory of Everything" that would explain all physical phenomena in the universe. However, it is still a work in progress and may require further development and refinement.