1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Super Node next to a Ground?

Tags:
  1. Nov 4, 2014 #1
    If a voltage source is connected between a ground and a node of unknown potential will it be a super node.
    For example would the 5V source be part of a supernode?
    eFdoNaP.png

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 4, 2014 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yes, the 5V source is a supernode construct. In this case it has one referenced node (E) and one unreferenced node (G). Supernodes usually refer to voltage sources that have both sides off of ground and thus have two unreferenced nodes. Personally, I find the whole concept of supernodes to be a useless verbal addition to nodal analysis.

4. Nov 5, 2014 #3
    So VE would still be zero right or 5V?

5. Nov 5, 2014 #4

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Ve is AT the ground symbol, so how could it possibly be anything but ground?

6. Nov 5, 2014 #5
    I was just wondering if a wire was connected between ground and node E would in this case VE still be 0V. I was wondering maybe the source to the right could also affect it. Sorry if dumb question but I can't get my head around it.

7. Nov 5, 2014 #6

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

The fact that the positive side of the voltage source is tied to ground is irrelevant. Ground is ground. In terms of the circuit, node G is at -5V

As for "A wire connected between ground and node E", node E IS ground.

8. Nov 5, 2014 #7
    Cool thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook