Solve Super Position Theorum: Double Loop Circuit

• Thread starter dawsond78
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Position
In summary, the Superposition Theorem is a principle in circuit analysis that allows for the determination of voltage or current in a specific branch of a linear circuit by considering the effects of each independent source separately. It is applied to double loop circuits by solving for the desired branch with one source at a time and adding the results algebraically. The advantage of using this theorem is that it simplifies the analysis of complex circuits. However, it has limitations as it can only be used in linear circuits and cannot solve circuits with dependent sources. It can be applied to circuits with any number of loops, but the complexity of the analysis increases with the number of loops.
dawsond78
I have two batteries and three resistors in a double loop circuit, Loop 1 is a 8V battery and res 1 is 8 Ohms and the res 2 is 6 Ohms need to work out super position theorum for that then the second loop is res 2 is 6 Ohms and res 3 is 3Ohms and the battery is 9V, need to work out the super position theorum for that then using kirchhoffs law i have to check both and confirm that i get the same values. Can anyone help please.

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi dawsond78! welcome to pf! :wink:

Show us the equations you have, and where you're stuck, and then we'll know how to help! :smile:

[i have a question i am stuck on,
" The input power of a heat exchanger is rated at 5.56MW and is supplied with water at 37 Degrees C. The exchanger heats the water to 100 Degrees C, at which point it is turned into dry stream. The dry steam is then supplied by the heat exchanger at 1.6 kg/s.
The specific heat capacity of water is 4.19kJ/kgK and the specific latent heat of vaporisation is 2.25Mj/K"

1. find heat supplied/kg
2.thermal efficiency of the heat exchanger

Can anyone help me please]

dawsond78 said:
I have two batteries and three resistors in a double loop circuit, Loop 1 is a 8V battery and res 1 is 8 Ohms and the res 2 is 6 Ohms need to work out super position theorum for that then the second loop is res 2 is 6 Ohms and res 3 is 3Ohms and the battery is 9V, need to work out the super position theorum for that then using kirchhoffs law i have to check both and confirm that i get the same values. Can anyone help please.

dawsond78 said:
[i have a question i am stuck on,
" The input power of a heat exchanger is rated at 5.56MW and is supplied with water at 37 Degrees C. The exchanger heats the water to 100 Degrees C, at which point it is turned into dry stream. The dry steam is then supplied by the heat exchanger at 1.6 kg/s.
The specific heat capacity of water is 4.19kJ/kgK and the specific latent heat of vaporisation is 2.25Mj/K"

1. find heat supplied/kg
2.thermal efficiency of the heat exchanger

Can anyone help me please]

dawsond78, please check your Personal Messages (PMs).

The superposition theorem is a useful tool in circuit analysis that allows us to simplify complex circuits by breaking them down into smaller, simpler parts. In this case, we have a double loop circuit with two batteries and three resistors. To solve for the values using the superposition theorem, we will need to follow these steps:

1. Find the total resistance in each loop by combining the resistors in series and parallel.

2. For the first loop, we will consider the 8V battery and res 1 (8 Ohms) as our "active" components, and the 9V battery and res 2 (6 Ohms) as our "inactive" components. Using the superposition theorem, we can calculate the voltage and current in the first loop by considering only the active components.

3. Repeat the same process for the second loop, considering the 9V battery and res 2 (6 Ohms) as the active components and res 3 (3 Ohms) as the inactive component.

4. Use Kirchhoff's laws (specifically, Kirchhoff's Current Law and Kirchhoff's Voltage Law) to check the values we calculated in steps 2 and 3 and confirm that they are consistent.

By using the superposition theorem, we can simplify the analysis of this double loop circuit and break it down into smaller, more manageable parts. This approach can be particularly useful in more complex circuits where it may be difficult to calculate the overall voltage and current using traditional methods. I hope this helps in solving your circuit!

1. What is the Superposition Theorem?

The Superposition Theorem is a principle in circuit analysis that states that the voltage or current in any specific branch of a linear circuit can be determined by considering the effects of each independent source in the circuit separately.

2. How is Superposition Theorem applied to a double loop circuit?

To solve a double loop circuit using the Superposition Theorem, we first remove all but one independent source from the circuit and solve for the voltage or current in the desired branch. Then, we repeat this process for each independent source in the circuit and add the results algebraically.

3. What is the advantage of using Superposition Theorem to solve circuits?

The advantage of using the Superposition Theorem is that it simplifies the analysis of complex circuits by breaking them down into simpler, independent parts. This makes it easier to solve for the desired voltages or currents without having to consider the effects of all sources simultaneously.

4. Are there any limitations to the Superposition Theorem?

Yes, the Superposition Theorem is only applicable to linear circuits, meaning circuits where the relationship between voltage and current is constant. It also cannot be used to solve circuits with dependent sources, such as controlled sources or mutual inductors.

5. Can the Superposition Theorem be used in circuits with more than two loops?

Yes, the Superposition Theorem can be applied to circuits with any number of loops. However, the complexity of the analysis increases with the number of loops, so it may not always be the most efficient method for solving these types of circuits.