How Does Constant Power Affect Truck Acceleration and Position?

• Thread starter nns91
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Power
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem where a truck is accelerated from rest with constant power along a level road. The goal is to show that the position of the truck is related to its speed by the equation x=(m/3P)v^3. The position and velocity of the truck have been previously found as x=(8P/9m)1/2*t3/2 and v=(2P/m)1/2*t1/2 respectively. The person attempting the problem is stuck and suggests taking a power nap to think of a solution.
nns91
SUPER URGENT ! Power question

Homework Statement

A truck of mass m is accelerated from rest at t=0 with constant power P along a level road

show that the position of the truck is related to its speed by x=(m/3P)v^3

the position of the truck is previously found as:

x=(8P/9m)1/2*t3/2

I also found the v=(2P/m)1/2*t1/2

Homework Equations

Integral

The Attempt at a Solution

I have not found anyway to do this problem yet. I tried to to relate v to x by taking the integral of v by integrate (m/3P)v^3 but I am stuck.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi nns91! :smile:
nns91 said:
… show that the position of the truck is related to its speed by x=(m/3P)v^3

the position of the truck is previously found as:

x=(8P/9m)1/2*t3/2

I also found the v=(2P/m)1/2*t1/2

erm … i think you need a power nap :redface:

if v=(2P/m)1/2*t1/2,

then v3 = … ? :smile:

Hello,

Thank you for your question. It seems that you are on the right track by trying to relate the position and velocity equations. Here is a possible approach to solve this problem:

1. Start with the equation for position x = (8P/9m)^(1/2) * t^(3/2). This is the position equation that was previously found.

2. Take the derivative of this equation with respect to time, which will give you the velocity equation v = (2P/m)^(1/2) * t^(1/2).

3. Now, we can use the derivative to find the acceleration equation a = (P/m)^(1/2) * t^(-1/2).

4. We know that power is defined as P = F * v, where F is the force applied and v is the velocity. In this case, the force is constant and equal to P, so we can rewrite the equation as P = P * v. Solving for v, we get v = P/P = 1.

5. Now, we can plug this value of v into the acceleration equation to get a = (P/m)^(1/2) * t^(-1/2) = (P/m)^(1/2) * (1/t^(1/2)) = P/m.

6. Finally, we can use the equation for acceleration a = F/m to solve for the force F = ma = P.

7. Now, we can use the equation for work W = F * x to relate the power P to the position x. Substituting the value of F, we get W = P * x = P * (8P/9m)^(1/2) * t^(3/2).

8. Finally, we can use the definition of power P = W/t to relate the power P to the time t. Solving for t, we get t = W/P.

9. Substituting this value of t into the position equation x = (8P/9m)^(1/2) * t^(3/2), we get x = (8P/9m)^(1/2) * (W/P)^(3/2).

10. Simplifying this equation, we get x = (m/3P) * W^(3/2) = (m/3P) * (P * t)^(

What is "SUPER Power"?

"SUPER Power" is a term used to describe an extraordinary ability or strength possessed by an individual or group. It can refer to physical, mental, or supernatural abilities.

Can anyone have "SUPER Power"?

In theory, yes. However, "SUPER Powers" are often depicted as being rare and only possessed by a select few individuals.

Are "SUPER Powers" real?

As a scientist, I cannot definitively say whether "SUPER Powers" are real or not. There is no scientific evidence to support the existence of supernatural abilities, but there are many unexplained phenomena that could potentially be considered "SUPER Powers".

How do "SUPER Powers" work?

The workings of "SUPER Powers" are often not fully explained and can vary depending on the specific ability. Some may be based on scientific principles, while others may be purely supernatural in nature.

Can "SUPER Powers" be studied and replicated?

As a scientist, I believe that anything can be studied and understood to some extent. However, the concept of "SUPER Powers" is often portrayed as being beyond scientific understanding and therefore cannot be easily replicated.