How to Calculate pH at Equivalence Point in Titration?

In summary, at the equivalence point of a titration between a 10.00 mL solution of 0.2500 M CH3COONa and 0.1300 M HCl, the volume of HCl required is 19.23 mL. To calculate the pH at the equivalence point, you need to know the dissociation constant for acetic acid, which is a weak acid with a Ka of 1.8 x 10^-5. As a result, the equivalence point pH will be greater than 7.
OasisJuice
A 10.00 mL solution of 0.2500 M CH3COONa is titrated with 0.1300 M HCl to the equivalence point.
CH3COO− + H+ → CH3COOH
volume of HCl required=19.23 mL

Calculate the pH of the solution at the equivalence point.

I've tried this a million ways and still keep getting it wrong. Also, my chemistry prof doesn't respond or have office hours so I'm kind of on my own :( Thank you in advance for your help :).

Chemistry news on Phys.org
You need the dissociation constant for acetic acid. It is a weak acid, and therefore the equivalence point pH will be greater than 7.

Dissociation constant for CH3COOH
Ka = 1.8 x 10^-5

1. What is a titration problem?

A titration problem is a common analytical chemistry problem that involves determining the unknown concentration of a substance by reacting it with a known concentration of another substance. This is typically done by adding one solution to another until the reaction reaches its endpoint, or the point at which the reaction is complete.

2. How do I solve a titration problem?

To solve a titration problem, you will need to use the known information about the substances being reacted, such as their concentrations and volumes, to calculate the unknown information, such as the concentration of the substance being titrated. This is typically done using mathematical equations and calculations based on the reaction taking place.

3. What are some common mistakes made when solving titration problems?

Some common mistakes when solving titration problems include using incorrect concentrations or volumes, not properly identifying the endpoint of the reaction, and not properly accounting for any dilutions or changes in concentration during the titration process. It is important to carefully read and understand the problem and double-check all calculations to avoid these mistakes.

4. How can I check my work when solving a titration problem?

One way to check your work when solving a titration problem is to use a different method, such as using a different set of data or using a different equation to calculate the unknown information. You can also double-check your calculations and make sure they are accurate and consistent with the given information.

5. Are there any tips for solving titration problems?

Some helpful tips for solving titration problems include carefully reading and understanding the problem, writing out all given information and unknowns, using the correct units and significant figures, and double-checking all calculations. It is also important to have a good understanding of the chemical reactions involved in order to accurately determine the correct equations and calculations to use.