Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Superbowl Picks

Who will win Superbowl 40?

Poll closed Feb 4, 2006.
  1. Colts

2. Broncos

3. Patriots

4. Steelers

5. Seahawks

6. Bears

0 vote(s)
  7. Panthers

8. Redskins

9. Nobody, there will be a tie or some other situation

10. I am going to get drunk off my ass, so, actually, I will be the winner!

1. Jan 8, 2006 #1
    With the first week of the playoffs over, who is your pick to win the whole thing?

Also, who do you think will make it to the big game, and by how many points (or with what score) will your pick win by.

I will be typical and go with the Colts, although I believe almost anyone in the AFC could go to, and win, the superbowl. I think the Seahawks will easily make it to the big game, but I am not sure if they can beat anyone in the AFC.

Colts over Seahawks by 10 points, say 27-17.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 8, 2006 #2
    I HOPE the Colts win since they've done so well this season. Actually, I hope anyone wins but the Patriots. :)
  4. Jan 8, 2006 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I have to go with the Broncos. The Colts and Patriots rank just about even with the Broncos.

The Seahawks will lose in the Super Bowl to one the above AFC teams.
    This has to be the year the Broncos finally win one in Indianapolis. After all, the Browns finally snapped their streak of losing to the Broncos in AFC Championship games ... :uhh: oh, wait, no they didn't. I mean the Bills finally snapped their string of Super Bowl losses .. :uhh: no, wait, I mean, the Vikings, uh, no, I mean Warren Moon and the Oilers, :uhh: uh, no, that was worst of all. The Cowboys! The Cowboys finally beat the Steelers in a Super Bowl. Yeah, that's right. I'm sure the Broncos will finally win in Indianapolis.

Edit: One thing is for sure. The NFL needs to permanently ban the color teal from NFL uniforms. If they won't go that far, they at least need to ban players wearing teal from doing Girls Gone Wild imitations after scoring a touchdown. It's embarrassing for NFL fans and for the girls on Girls Gone Wild.
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2006
  5. Jan 8, 2006 #4
    Drunk off my ass.
  6. Jan 9, 2006 #5
    Sorry Bob, but I hope the Patriots beat the Broncos. Not because I hate the Broncos, which I do :smile:, but mostly because I want to see the Patriots travel to Indy and play the Colts.

Warren Moon and the Oilers eh. They had that comeback game on ESPN a week or two ago. The wildcard game, I believe in 1992, against the Buffalo Bills. The Oilers were up 35-3 in the middle of the 3rd quarter and the Bills came back and took the lead, then finally ended up winning in overtime.
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2006
  7. Jan 9, 2006 #6
    I say the steelers, because, well, i just know, ok. All you non-believers out there who think the steelers have no chance against the colts are just wrong. all the steelers have to do is play better than they ever did before this season, and it will be a cakewalk, which they will do, trust me (the score will be 24-17). they will end up playing the seahawks, and beat them by a fieldgoal and a touchdown, after recovering from a 14 point deficit late in the 3rd quarter, and making the final fieldgoal early in the 4th. there will be no scoring the rest of the game. sorry, my tarot cards do not tell me what the final score will be, i might have to call miss cleo on that one. also, john madden will will be killed by a frustrated madden 06 player, that my tarot cards did tell me. he will be replaced next season by ben stein.
  8. Jan 14, 2006 #7
    Redskins and Patriots are out.

How about them Broncos. Wow, they played terrible! I seriously expected them to play much better than that, it seems as though if there were no turnovers the Broncos would have had just 3 points on the board. However, the Patriots' 5 turnovers is just pathetic, so the Broncos rightfully won, even if the offense hardly played. Best play of the game, that Bailey interception return. I was laughing like crazy everytime they showed that play.
  9. Jan 14, 2006 #8
    I voted for no one.The Dodgers isn't one of the choices.There obivisoly are going to win the super bowl this year.
  10. Jan 15, 2006 #9

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You knew John Lynch had gotten under Brady's skin when Brady reacted to him after the false start penalty and when Brady went off on the refs on the very next play. I think he went about 5 of 13 for the first half, plus the Patriots had a slew of false start penalties.

And, still the Patriots were right in it until Bailey's interception. Bailey was so modest about the play, too. "It was a great play by me", said Bailey. :rofl:

It's great to see the Broncos finally win their first playoff game since Elway retired. :biggrin:
  11. Jan 15, 2006 #10
    Well the Colts are out :surprised :surprised :surprised

That Colts game was very interesting, plenty of BS in it. Am I the only one who thought that the Steelers interception was an interception? Then that Bettis fumble, wow lol.
  12. Jan 15, 2006 #11

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That game had some incredible swings. Manning waving off the punting team, converting 4th down, and suddenly the Colts started playing like the Colts. The 'interception' (it sure looked like an interception to me) and another surge for the Colts. The fumble - that would have been a horrible way for Bettis to end his career. To think it was Big Ben's right arm that won the game for the Steelers - a one armed desperation grab to keep the fumble from being run back for a TD.

And what in the world happened on the field goal? I've only seen one field goal attempt that bad before - and that was a high school game (at least the high school kicker cleared the score board in the corner of the field).
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2006
  13. Jan 15, 2006 #12
    Yeah that field goal attempt was UGLY!!!

So how do you feel about the Steelers going up against your Broncos?
  14. Jan 15, 2006 #13

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Better than the idea of playing in Indy. I think there will be a lot of running plays - the Steelers and Broncos are first and second in the percentage of rushing plays.

The big difference is Denver's defense. The Steelers are going to have a hard time running against the 'Browncos' line and Gold, Wilson, and Williams.
  15. Jan 16, 2006 #14

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If Ben's right arm stays good, I like the Steelers...despite what they did to Palmer ! :mad:
  16. Jan 22, 2006 #15
    Broncos are out, one more game to go and we will know who will be in the Superbowl. I am picking Seattle to win today's game.
  17. Jan 23, 2006 #16

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm thoroughly crushed by yesterday's game. The Broncos just were never in it.

Life goes on though. Now I'm following the US Curling Team. Pete Fenson and Cassie Johnson can really throw that rock.

Curling has so many more dramatic turn of events than football. Take Rhona Martin. She was a hero in Great Britain, thanks to leading her team to dramatic wins over Canada and Switzerland in the 2002 Olympics. Now she's on welfare.
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2006
  18. Jan 23, 2006 #17

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

For one thing, Plummer was just not looking comfortable at any point in the game...too many throws under pressure.

:rofl: :rofl:

Speaking of sports, how about Kobe's game yesterday, eh ?
  19. Jan 23, 2006 #18
    isn't this stupid?

ok so the steelers are # 6 in the afc
    and the seahawks are number # 1
    but still the steelers are favored by 6 pts? what the hell?

can someone explain that? and how ilogical is that?
  20. Jan 23, 2006 #19
    If you are hung up on the rankings, Seattle came out of a terrible division and had the same record as a team the Steelers just dominated. The Steelers lost 2 overtime games that Roethlisberger did not play in. If he played and they won those two games, the two teams would have had the same records. Also, the Superbowl is not in Seattle. The Seahawks are going to get walloped.
    Probably the most amazing thing I have ever seen.
  21. Jan 23, 2006 #20

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Considering the difference in eras, Kobe's 81 is probably more impressive than Wilt Chamberlain's 100. Kobe's 81 points accounted for over 66% of his team's scoring in an era where only one or two teams average 100 points as a team. Chamberlain's 100 points accounted for just 59% of his team's scoring that night (the score was 169-147). Of course, the astounding thing was that Chamberlain shot 28 of 32 from the free throw line - he normally shot free throws about as good as Shaquille O'Neal.

Actually, Chamberlain's 55 rebounds in one game is more impressive than than his 100 points in one game.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?