Superbowl Picks

• Thread starter mattmns
  • Start date

Who will win Superbowl 40?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
LeBrad said:
If they're so stupid, why are they the ones driving giant Lexuses with wreaths on them?
I'm not playing the Ifs and Buts game, I'm trying to explain why regular season record, which you seem so hung up on, isn't the definitive stat of a team's greatness. Regular season record means squat at this point. Seattle came out of a weak division. The Steelers have all the momentum, they beat #1, #2, and #3 ON THE ROAD. Seattle barely beat the Redskins and beat an injured Panthers team AT HOME, where everybody says they have the biggest homefield advantage in the NFL. Note: The Superbowl is NOT in Seattle. Hence, Pittsburgh is the favorite.
ya the same odd makers who favored the rams over the pats 4 years ago
same odd makers who favored the lakers over the pistons 2 years ago
last time i checked pats n the pistons

and your saying i'm talking about the regular season, but your not? your saying regular has nothing to do with this? are you out of your mind? if it wasn't for there records in the regular seasons they would not be in the playoffs

ya if regular doesn't mean squat why are you mentioning they played in a poor division? why did you mention that the steelers lost 2 regular season games in OT?

when the pats won there superbowls there division stunk like hell also only legit team was the jets who barely made the playoffs......when 49ers won there 5 superbowls there division was horrible also

superbowl is neutral site......... neither team is home or away, because there gona be 1/2 steelers fans n 1/2 seahawks fans

You people are completely missing the point. Seattle beat two teams at home, Pittsburgh beat the "top" three teams on the road. I don't think it's unreasonable for the Steelers to be favored despite having a worse regular season record and being in a better division, hence the lower playoff spot.
TMNT said:
and your saying i'm talking about the regular season, but your not? your saying regular has nothing to do with this? are you out of your mind? if it wasn't for there records in the regular seasons they would not be in the playoffs
ya if regular doesn't mean squat why are you mentioning they played in a poor division? why did you mention that the steelers lost 2 regular season games in OT?
when the pats won there superbowls there division stunk like hell also only legit team was the jets who barely made the playoffs......when 49ers won there 5 superbowls there division was horrible also
I'm not saying teams out of weak divisions can't win the Superbowl. I only brought up Pittsburgh's record because you were saying "how can a team that is ranked lower be the favorite?!?!?!!". I was merely pointing out that playoff ranking is based solely on where the team finishes in their division and conference, which depends on your regular season record and the records of your division mates.
At this point it's all about momentum. What have you done for me lately.

Capnpooh
Chuck norris will win... penis yay penis booby booby

Janus
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
LeBrad said:
You people are completely missing the point. Seattle beat two teams at home, Pittsburgh beat the "top" three teams on the road. I don't think it's unreasonable for the Steelers to be favored despite having a worse regular season record and being in a better division, hence the lower playoff spot.
To paraphrase a local sportswriter, "Hey, you can only beat the teams you're scheduled to play" (and where you are scheduled to play them)

That being said, I personally think that Seattle does get a little less respect from the odds makers just due to the fact that they are the Seahawks.:rolleyes:
I'm not saying teams out of weak divisions can't win the Superbowl. I only brought up Pittsburgh's record because you were saying "how can a team that is ranked lower be the favorite?!?!?!!". I was merely pointing out that playoff ranking is based solely on where the team finishes in their division and conference, which depends on your regular season record and the records of your division mates.
At this point it's all about momentum. What have you done for me lately.
Well, the two weeks between games and all the hoop-la and distractions of the Super Bowl can tend to drain momentum. I think a lot will depend on how each of the teams weather the time between now and then.

Gokul43201
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Speaking of Pittsburgh, Lemieux just retired, again.

BobG
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Janus said:
That being said, I personally think that Seattle does get a little less respect from the odds makers just due to the fact that they are the Seahawks.:rolleyes:
That's understandable. Most people have no idea what a seahawk is, plus their uniforms are confusing. Their official uniform colors are "Seahawk blue, Seahawk navy blue, and Seahawk bright green". I've never heard of any of those colors before. What's the difference between Seahawk blue and blue - is Seahawk blue a darker shade or a lighter shade, or is it just plain blue with some drab grey blended in? I'm having a hard time putting a handle on the Seahawk bright green, as well. It's not exactly neon green - it's more like a neon greenish grey with just a hint of yellow.

Edit: When I think about it, didn't we have a thread about what would happen if someone invented a new color?

Last edited:
rachmaninoff
I voted "seahawks" when this thread was started, because I knew nothing about whatever the thread subject was and I wanted to screw up the statistics. What do you know.

I am going to say Steelers by 10, maybe 27-17.