Superbowl Picks

• Thread starter mattmns
  • Start date

Which team will win the Superbowl this year?

• San Diego Chargers

Votes: 8 26.7%
  • Baltimore Ravens

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • Indianapolis Colts

Votes: 4 13.3%
  • New England Patriots

Votes: 5 16.7%
  • Kansas City Chiefs

• Chicago Bears

Votes: 4 13.3%
  • New Orleans Saints

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • Philadelphia Eagles

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • Seattle Seahawks

• Dallas Cowboys

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The funny thing about football is that the worst team in the playoffs can beat the best team in the playoffs 20% of the time. So even though the Chargers look like the favorites, the probability of them winning the superbowl is still relatively low.

BobG
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I picked the Chargers. They're the best team this year.

Thinking about it, I really should have picked the Bears. The Bears and Saints are the only two NFC teams good enough to be in the playoffs, let alone win the Super Bowl. The Bears have a better chance of being in the Super Bowl than the Chargers do in spite of the Chargers being the better team.

AFC

Colts vs. Ravens :: Ravens. Their defense will be able to hold Manning enough for them to pull this one out.

Patriots vs. Chargers :: Chargers. Gonna be a good game though, and you can never count the Pats out in the playoffs, but still I say Chargers

----
Assuming that happens
----

Chargers vs. Ravens :: Chargers. Another great game. If the Ravens manage to stop LT, I think you'll see Rivers pull it off. :wink:

NFC

Eagles vs. Saints :: Saints. Once again, another good game. But Brees and the Saints will prevail.

Seahawks vs. Bears :: Bears. Even if Grossman play bad, they can still defeat the Seahawks.

----
Assuming that happens
----

Bears vs. Saints :: Saints. Even though the Bears ended 13-3, I cannot see them making it to the Superbowl with Grossman. Unless, of course, he decides to play as good as he was the first five games of the season.

Superbowl

----
Assuming all of the above happens
----

Chargers vs. Saints :: Chargers. LT will most likely play great, and I can't see the NFC beating the AFC this year. Chargers deserve it this year, too.

Awesome, the Eagles are out!

You seemed happy when you said that.
As a Cowboys fan, I must root against them :smile: It was a good game though.

Yeah, but you know, the Saints deserved to win because of Katrina. :rolleyes:

Gokul43201
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Brady does it again! Oh well, it's all up to Indy now...

3-1, not bad for my usually terrible picks. Great games this week!

Colts vs Patriots, the classic playoff rematch!

Wow, friggen awful game the Chargers played. New England looked terrible too. I sure hope Schitenheimer is finally fired.

LOL @ the idiot Joe Buck for not knowing which cleat spike was longer (1/2 in. vs. a 5/8th in.).

My original pick of the Saints is looking better than ever!

Tomorrow I will go with the Pats and the Saints to win.

BobG
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
If Indy and the Saints both win, who will people in Louisiana root for? The Saints have been so bad in past years, that more people root for Manning than the Saints.

Da Bears, WOW!

ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
<ZapperZ sings "Bear Down, Chicago Bears....">

Zz.

Chi Meson
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Oh

F
f
f
f
f
izzle

Great game, glad to see the Colts win it.

I'm VERY glad to see the Colts win it. They deserve it.

Gokul43201
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Boy, would it be good to see Dungy & Manning with the ring! Yippeee!!! They've just got to make sure they don't self-destruct, like the Saints did.

PS: ...not to belittle the roles of Marvin Harrison, Reggie Wayne, Dallas Clark, Dwight Freeny, Jeff Saturday, or Tarik Glenn

PPS:...not to belittle the roles of other Colts whose names I don't know or can't remember.

It should be an interesting match-up, naturally I would pick the Colts, but after watching the Bears kill the Saints, I am not so sure.

I wonder what will happen with Devin Hester, considering how bad the Colts' special teams was with kickoff coverage.

The Bears defense is more potent, but when Manning and his receivers are in rhythm, they're unstoppable.

BobG
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I think it depends on which Colts defense shows up. Down the stretch, they couldn't stop the run. If the Bears run the ball 46 times like they did against New Orleans, then Manning and his receivers won't spend enough time on the field to get in synch.

It's a double-edged sword. Rex Grossman is also a great quarterback, which means they use the running AND passing game. Scary. I sure hope the Colts come pumped up enough to play great defense...

Wow, we should have known it was going to be the Bears vs the Colts. Madden called it over a month ago:
:rofl:

Last edited by a moderator: