Who Will Win the Super Bowl? Cast Your Vote!

• Thread starter mattmns
  • Start date
In summary, In the NFC championship game against the Falcons, the kicker missed to the left, which led to the Falcons coming back and winning in overtime.

Which team will win the Superbowl this year?

• San Diego Chargers

Votes: 8 26.7%
  • Baltimore Ravens

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • Indianapolis Colts

Votes: 4 13.3%
  • New England Patriots

Votes: 5 16.7%
  • Kansas City Chiefs

• Chicago Bears

Votes: 4 13.3%
  • New Orleans Saints

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • Philadelphia Eagles

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • Seattle Seahawks

• Dallas Cowboys

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
mattmns
Alright, let's pick it right now, who is going to win the superbowl?

I had a limit of 10 poll options so I took out the Giants and the Jets. If you take issue to this feel free to write them in, but seriously there is no need :smile:

I am going with the Saints.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know anything about professional football teams, so I'm going to contaminate the poll by voting for the team with the coolest name. Go Seahawks!

mattmns said:
I am going with the Saints.
You went with the E (emotion) factor. That's only good for one game, you know!

SpaceTiger said:
Go Seahawks!
And you picked the team with the coolest name and possibly the weakest record.

I'm going to go by the numbers - LT's. Except for the Pittsburgh game, no one's really found a way to stop him. Go Chargers!

The Pats-Jets game is going to be a real corker! The Jets might still have a little bit left over from the fairydust magic that saw them through.

I voted for Philadelphia. We Eagles fans have full confidence in our underdog team for this season, and with the way we've been playing, I'd say it's possible.

I'd say Eagles are a possibility too (ironic), but not wanting to jinx them, I voted for the Colts.

Let's have a repeat-but-reversal of the 1986 Superbowl. I'm still hurting from that. (I am required to say) Go Pats.

It will be eagles vs. patriots round 2.

Gokul43201 said:
And you picked the team with the coolest name and possibly the weakest record.

Psh, like record means anything. If I learned anything from not going to my psychology class, it's that past behavior is never an indication of what will happen in the future. Besides, this just means that they're due.

SpaceTiger said:
Besides, this just means that they're due.
Oh, crap! The law of averages - how could I forget! Now I want to change my vote ... hey, why aren't the Raiders on the list? :grumpy:

The Seahawks are due to win, next season maybe :smile:

I am taking Dallas, KC, Philly, and New England this week

mattmns said:
I am taking Dallas, KC, Philly, and New England this week
How could you? I pick Seattle, Indy, Philly and the Jets (surprise win with the winning score in the final 2 minutes).

We will find out shortly. Should be some great games this week.

Gokul43201 said:
Oh, crap! The law of averages - how could I forget! Now I want to change my vote ...

Haw on you, too late. Even better, I heard their kicker kicked three field goals last game. Smells like a hot streak!

SpaceTiger said:
Psh, like record means anything. If I learned anything from not going to my psychology class, it's that past behavior is never an indication of what will happen in the future.

Case in point:

The 1998 Vikings entered the play-offs with a league leading record of 15-1. In the NFC championship game against the Falcons, they drove down to the 20 to set up a 38 yd field goal with 2 mins left that would have all but sealed a victory. The kicker, who had not missed a field goal all season, missed to the left. The falcons then came back to first tie the game, and then win in overtime.

I went with the Patriots - part of the leverage you get by being successful is that the hype surrounding the big game is less compelling. It's not "we're in the big game" as much as "OK, let's do our jobs and win this one, too." If they make it to the dance, they'll win.

:cry: Cowboys should have won that game. Why did the officials not review that field goal to fumble play? I thought Romo was close to the first down, or at least close enough to warrant a challenge. They challenged and overturned the spot on that previous play, why not take a look? Ohh well, I did not expect the Cowboys to do anything in the playoffs anyway.

mattmns said:
:cry: Cowboys should have won that game. Why did the officials not review that field goal to fumble play? I thought Romo was close to the first down, or at least close enough to warrant a challenge. They challenged and overturned the spot on that previous play, why not take a look? Ohh well, I did not expect the Cowboys to do anything in the playoffs anyway.

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

ROMO!

How could you have fumbled the ball?

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

SpaceTiger said:
I don't know anything about professional football teams, so I'm going to contaminate the poll by voting for the team with the coolest name. Go Seahawks!
I guess you are right so far...

mattmns said:
:cry: Cowboys should have won that game. Why did the officials not review that field goal to fumble play? I thought Romo was close to the first down, or at least close enough to warrant a challenge.
Nope, he was a good 1/2 yard short.
They challenged and overturned the spot on that previous play, why not take a look?

Two differences.
1.With Romo, it was a matter of where the ball hit the turf, easy to call. With the other play, it was a matter of forward progress, a harder call.
2. With thefirst play, the initial replay put the spot of the ball into question, so it warranted a closer look. With Romo, initial replay upheld the call on the field.

Yah, it was a pretty easy call. Really, if not for that shoestring tackle, it would have been the Cowboys' game. Funny stuff, but I would have rather had them win a couple so that they could face the Eagles again...

After looking at it again he was much further than I originally thought.

Oh man.... I wanted the Cowboys to lose, but that was a HEARTBREAKER. I love the drama but hate to see teams end their seasons like that.

A game is never ever decided by 1 play despite what many people believe. Maybe if the Dallas o-line wouldn't have allowed a safety Dallas would have won. If the Dallas D wouldn't have allowed 1 of the fg or tds made Dallas would have won. Romo only cost the Cowboys 3 pts. not the entire game by himself. The loss is evenly distributed among all the cowboy players.

I feel terrible for Romo. That dude is going to be hurting for eight months now. Nonetheless, if the Niners can't get in themselves, the next best thing is watching the Cowboys lose (yeah, still holding a grudge from all those 90s battles).

Anyway, I have to go with the Chargers. My brain really wants to pick the Ravens, but I just have a feeling about the Chargers. It seems like the universe is aligning right and that franchise and Marty Schottenheimer have to win eventually. I can't ever see them getting a better chance.

Should be some good match ups this week.

Saints
Seahawks
Colts
Patriots

Another 2-2 coming for me this week :smile:

I wonder why the Chargers caught up to the Patriots in the poll? Brady is a killer, and though the game will be "away", he's got creds and experience. It seems that LV has the game with a 5 point edge to the Chargers. Don't believe it. NE won't just beat the spread - they will win.

The funny thing about football is that the worst team in the playoffs can beat the best team in the playoffs 20% of the time. So even though the Chargers look like the favorites, the probability of them winning the superbowl is still relatively low.

I picked the Chargers. They're the best team this year.

Thinking about it, I really should have picked the Bears. The Bears and Saints are the only two NFC teams good enough to be in the playoffs, let alone win the Super Bowl. The Bears have a better chance of being in the Super Bowl than the Chargers do in spite of the Chargers being the better team.

AFC

Colts vs. Ravens :: Ravens. Their defense will be able to hold Manning enough for them to pull this one out.

Patriots vs. Chargers :: Chargers. Gonna be a good game though, and you can never count the Pats out in the playoffs, but still I say Chargers

----
Assuming that happens
----

Chargers vs. Ravens :: Chargers. Another great game. If the Ravens manage to stop LT, I think you'll see Rivers pull it off. :wink:

NFC

Eagles vs. Saints :: Saints. Once again, another good game. But Brees and the Saints will prevail.

Seahawks vs. Bears :: Bears. Even if Grossman play bad, they can still defeat the Seahawks.

----
Assuming that happens
----

Bears vs. Saints :: Saints. Even though the Bears ended 13-3, I cannot see them making it to the Superbowl with Grossman. Unless, of course, he decides to play as good as he was the first five games of the season.

Superbowl

----
Assuming all of the above happens
----

Chargers vs. Saints :: Chargers. LT will most likely play great, and I can't see the NFC beating the AFC this year. Chargers deserve it this year, too.

Awesome, the Eagles are out!

mattmns said:
Awesome, the Eagles are out!
You seemed happy when you said that.

z-component said:
You seemed happy when you said that.

As a Cowboys fan, I must root against them :smile: It was a good game though.

Yeah, but you know, the Saints deserved to win because of Katrina. :rolleyes:

Brady does it again! Oh well, it's all up to Indy now...

3-1, not bad for my usually terrible picks. Great games this week!

Colts vs Patriots, the classic playoff rematch!

Wow, friggen awful game the Chargers played. New England looked terrible too. I sure hope Schitenheimer is finally fired.