Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Supercapacitor question

1. Jan 2, 2016 #1
    Can a supercapacitor be a power supply?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 2, 2016 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

What do you think and why?

4. Jan 2, 2016 #3
    I'm sorry I forgot to specify that I am looking for alternative solutions for batteries for a DIY project, I was looking at graphene and it has a really high conductivity around (3-8*10^5) S/m, but a power supply needs voltage, and it looks like most people are using graphene as superconductors. The question should be, can grapheme be a power supply?

5. Jan 2, 2016 #4

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Can a copper wire be a power supply?

6. Jan 2, 2016 #5
    No, so I guess I am looking in the wrong direction.

7. Jan 2, 2016 #6

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yes, I think so. Graphene, as you seem to now realize, is just a material. It is a terrifically good conductor, but a conductor alone is just a conductor, not a source of energy.

You still have not been clear about what it is you are actually trying to do so It's impossible to give you any advice.

8. Jan 2, 2016 #7

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you want a near constant voltage from your supply, a Capacitor, however super, will have its limitations. Q=CV, remember. On the other hand, a chemical battery can maintain its output volts for most of its charge and there are some pretty damn good batteries available these days.

9. Jan 4, 2016 #8
    while graphene by itself cannot be a power supply it has been used as both a cathode or an anode it developing battery technologies, so to say that you are on the wrong track would not be 100% correct. Never stop the search just modify your approach!

10. Jan 4, 2016 #9
    Fun fact, you can install supercapacitors in place of your battery in a vehicle. Trivia question for you, why is that possible and under what circumstances would it be beneficial?

11. Jan 4, 2016 #10
    Supercapacitors can discharge energy gradually and not all at once like regular capacitors, and they can be charged much quicker than batteries. Certain aspects can apply to electric busses.

12. Jan 4, 2016 #11

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook