1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Superconducting Frame in Magnetic Field (Moscow Phys-Tech)

1. Nov 8, 2009 #1
    Hello everybody,

I've been trying to understand fully the problem I found in a famous Physics book (A guide to physics Problems Part 1). The maths behind the problem are understandable. However, even if I found the partial solution to the problem at the end of the book, several points are not clear for me.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A superconducting square rigid frame of mass m inductance L, and side a
    is cooled down (in a magnetic field) to a temperature below the critical
    temperature. The frame is kept horizontal (parallel to the x-y plane)
    and constrained to move in the z direction in a nonuniform but constant magnetic field described by a vector potential A=(-Bo*alpha,alpha*x*z,0) and a
    uniform gravitational field given by the acceleration g .
    The thickness of the frame is much smaller than a . Initially, the frame
    is at rest, with its center coinciding with the origin. Find the equations of
    motion of the frame and solve for the position of the frame as a function of
    time.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I found the magnetic field from the vector potential: B=(-alpha*x,0,alpha*z+Bo)

I found the flux throught the plate due to this magnetic field:

Phi[e]=B.S=(Bo+alpha*z)*a^2

What I don't understand is why the flux from the current inside the frame is (according to the solution) Phi=L*I, I being the current inside de plate.

Conseptually, I don't get the idea of an inductance L for a non coil-shaped inductor.

Then The total flux throught the plate is: Phi=Phi[e]+Phi

Before the establishement of the current: Phi[0]=Bo*a^2

By stating that the flux is constant in time, we have Phi=Phi[0]. So we can deduce the current inside the plate.

I=-(alpha*z*a^2)/L

To calculate the force, we remember the lapalce force:

F=int[I*dlXB]

the solution states: "due to physical constraint, we only need the component in the z direction", why?

For me when we take the cross product of dl and B we have: (ds,dy,0)X(Bx,0,Bz)=(-Bx*dy,-By*dx,-Bx*dy)

Is the solution the integrale is calculated as follow:

Fz=2*I*int[(-dy)*(-alpha*(a/2) ),-a/2,a/2]

for me Bx=-alpha*x

why are the taking x=a/2 ?

once we have the force the solution to the differential equation is for me straightfoward.

to sum up my questions:

1) How to conceptualize the inductance L of a plate ?
    2) why is the internal flux Phi=L*I ?
    3)why the total flux equals to Phi[0]=Bo*a^2 at t=o and not (Bo+alpha*z)*a^2
    4)Causality speaking, we calculate the current I from the flux which is calcutalted from the current I. Is it normal?
    5)Why is their only a laplace force in z?
    6) why taking x=a/2 for calculating Fz

I hope my querries belong to the scope of this forum. I spent time on this problem. I could have just accepted the solution. But I prefer to be picky and understand the problem fully.

Thx for reading.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?